AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Better understanding of how Remarketing lists for Search Ads work

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have some questions regarding RLSA :

1) In what conditions do visitors get added to the RLSA list ?

Directly from the support chat (using that for the 2nd time in my life) , I have learned that visitors get added to the "Remarketing for Search" list when they are "logged in" and visit the site with the AdWords Tag. At first I thought they had to be looged in a google account, a natural assumption since adwords is a google product.

The discussion arrived to a grey zone when I asked what exactly does "logged in" mean and the lady there told me that the user has to be connected in any site (google account, yahoo, hotmail, facebook, company webmail, anything) in order to be considered "non-anonymous" and allow for the remarketing cookie to be dropped in his/her browser. Any regular visit, when you are not connected in a site through a users/password or when you are in an "incognito window" , it is ignored by the remarketing code.

This means that from a total of 10.000 visitors per day I could be having only 20% in a "logged in" stage , and only those can be "tagged" for remarketing. 

Can anyone confirm this information or comment on it based on their experience ?

Clarifying this issue would be important in my opinion.

2) Let's say that an audience is already at an almost minimum 1500 visitors and a RLSA campaign is setup to run. What is the minimum users required online at once in order to serve impressions ?

The theory from the chat support would be that there is no minimum of active visitors at one time, to serve impressions for RLSA, but she didn't seem to sure about it.

3) Why is the Audience Graph for Display having ups and downs even if the cookie duration is 540 days. Visitors from the audience should not be deleted from the list based on the expiration of the cookie.

One theory is that the system has the ability to find out when a user has deleted the remarketing cookie, but how ?

[edit] I assume there a similar evolution of the audience for RLSA, even if it is not visualised in that graph and its duration is less, 180 days [/edit]

4) Is there a way of finding out what slice of an audience for Search is mobile and what is desktop ?

I will not comment on any answer, or drag the discusion further. I just want to see some other opinions if there are any.

I hope you find these questions as important as I do , for running a RLSA campaign.

Thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Craig B (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Better understanding of how Remarketing lists for Search Ads work

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Adrian B,

My name is Craig and I am happy to provide some clarity on the questions you posted in regards to Remarketing lists for Search Ads! In regards to the conditions that must be met for a user to be added to the RLSA list, all users will be added to the remarking list regardless of where they came from (organic, adwords, direct traffic etc) when they visit a page on your site with the remarketing tag present. The criteria to be added to a Remarketing for Search list differs from the Display list as Google makes individual decisions for each product based on what's best for user privacy. We believe it's best for users if we use a higher threshold of privacy for Search than Display.

In terms of minimum users required to be online at once in order to serve impressions, the only requirement is that the you have at least 1000 users on the remarketing list for an ad to be shown to that list. The list grows based on the number of unique visitors who visit the pages on your site that include the remarketing tag and once that threshold is reached for the Search list, the ads will be eligible to show for search remarketing. 

Remarketing list sizes are essentially "real time" serving and the lists are continuously updated within seconds after a user visits a page with the remarketing code. The AdWords interface takes approximately 24 hours to update in terms of the list size but there are several reasons why the size may fluctuate. Every time users visit a page containing the tag, their timestamp gets updated so that they remain on the list for only the amount of time specified in the membership duration and are removed once this expires. A user can clear their cookies at anytime also to be removed from the list. The changes in eligible users would be reflected everytime the AdWords interface updates. 

In terms of segmenting the lists by mobile versus desktop, there is unfortunately no way to see this breakdown on the remarketing list user end. Once the RLSA campaign begins to run, you can see what devices the users were on in terms of ad impressions and clicks by choosing Segment > Device. This will show you details on Mobile versus Desktop users. I hope this is useful and please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions!

Sincerely,

Craig B. 

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Adrian

John Paul(Community Manager) has posted a comment on the post which you shared with us earlier while discussing on another post related to it. He has raised the issue with Help Centre team to clarify this logged in point for RLSA.

Please refer to the post more:
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Remarketing-both-script-and-iframe-used/m-p/...

Abhishek

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Abhishek S, very useful intervention you had there.

That would clarify my question 2. My main problem is a big discrepancy I noticed between visitors from analytics and users added to the RLSA audience.

I basically cannot start RLSA for a site even with an audience duration of 180 days because inspited of a monthly traffic of over 1000 the audience grows too slow.

I

have to find out what does this "logged in" requirement mean in the stage when site visitors click the Ad the first time and should be added to the RLSA list.

All the other forum discussions made realise that I cannot explain how many of the visitors will not apear in the audience and why.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian

One more point that strike in my mind after reading your reply is that its re-marketing so i don't think that a user needs to click on our paid ad in order to be the part of re-marketing list.
If a user directly visit the page by typing the URL, which have the re-marketing tag implemented on that, then in my opinion he/she will be added to our re-marketing list.

Does that make sense?

Abhishek

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes , even organic /refferal/direct visitors should trigger the AdWords Remarketing Tag and generate a cookie in their browser.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Craig B (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Adrian B,

My name is Craig and I am happy to provide some clarity on the questions you posted in regards to Remarketing lists for Search Ads! In regards to the conditions that must be met for a user to be added to the RLSA list, all users will be added to the remarking list regardless of where they came from (organic, adwords, direct traffic etc) when they visit a page on your site with the remarketing tag present. The criteria to be added to a Remarketing for Search list differs from the Display list as Google makes individual decisions for each product based on what's best for user privacy. We believe it's best for users if we use a higher threshold of privacy for Search than Display.

In terms of minimum users required to be online at once in order to serve impressions, the only requirement is that the you have at least 1000 users on the remarketing list for an ad to be shown to that list. The list grows based on the number of unique visitors who visit the pages on your site that include the remarketing tag and once that threshold is reached for the Search list, the ads will be eligible to show for search remarketing. 

Remarketing list sizes are essentially "real time" serving and the lists are continuously updated within seconds after a user visits a page with the remarketing code. The AdWords interface takes approximately 24 hours to update in terms of the list size but there are several reasons why the size may fluctuate. Every time users visit a page containing the tag, their timestamp gets updated so that they remain on the list for only the amount of time specified in the membership duration and are removed once this expires. A user can clear their cookies at anytime also to be removed from the list. The changes in eligible users would be reflected everytime the AdWords interface updates. 

In terms of segmenting the lists by mobile versus desktop, there is unfortunately no way to see this breakdown on the remarketing list user end. Once the RLSA campaign begins to run, you can see what devices the users were on in terms of ad impressions and clicks by choosing Segment > Device. This will show you details on Mobile versus Desktop users. I hope this is useful and please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions!

Sincerely,

Craig B. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Craig;

Thanks for a great post and the clarification about the RLSA list.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Craig,

Crystal clear answers, thank you very much.

If I am not pushing too much there would be some more details blurry in my head :

1) I know you wrote that the only requirement for serving is for that list to have 1000 cookies active in that day.

Let's take this scenario. User was not logged in, he receives the remarketing for search cookie, he logs in the next day and starts searching. Is he eligible for receiving my RLSA ads ? In the new session he is logged in.

2) Android devices usually log in their users in the background to retrieve email.

How does the rule of adding users apply to remarketing on an android browser such as Firefox, when in that particular browser the user is not logged in google before visiting my site but  In the background he is logged in gmail ?

Does that user get added or not based on his logged in state in the back ground not in the actual browser ?

If this type of user is blocked ,it means there are high chances for RLSA not to work on targeting mobile devices.

3) Exclusion of audiences in a RLSA campaign, for example for converted users .

I have access to the "Exclude audience" window in a Search Ad Group but it shouldn't work since here : link , it is said that

Audience exclusions are available only for these campaign types:

• "Display Network only - Remarketing"
  • "Display Network only - All features"
  • "Search & Display Networks - All features"

Will it work to exclude a RLSA audience if it has at least 1000 cookies and I apply a bid adjutment of minus 100% on it in the Search network Ad Group where I add that audience as Targeting ? In theory it should be a work around for the missing "exclude audience" feature.

Thank you again

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
Craig,

Thanks also for posting your detailed answers!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'd also like an answer to number (3) - totally unclear in the documentation and doesn't seem to work for me when I Exclude an Audience