AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Best way to swap to a new landing page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been testing a dedicated landing page for a keyword which previously went to the homepage, through analytics experiements.

It has outperformed the original and I'm happy this is a better page to send users to even though the experiement has a few days left to run.

What is the best way to implement this?

I assume changing the Ad dest URL will mess up the QS. So i'm thinking of duplicating all the Ads with a new dest URL and running them alongside each other for a while.

Seems like a very drawn out solution. Anyone have any better ways to implement winning landing pages?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt G
September 2015

Re: Best way to swap to a new landing page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Matt,

The easiest way to implement this testing is to replicate your ads and have a different URL.

The issue here would be that is you have 2-3 ads in the adgroup, you will need to replicate all those ads:

Campaign A

Adgroup 1 - Ad 1 - URL 1

Adgroup 1 - Ad 1 - URL 2

Adgroup 1 - Ad 2 - URL 1

Adgroup 1 - Ad 2 - URL 2

Adgroup 1 - Ad 3 - URL 1

Adgroup 1 - Ad 3 - URL 2

Remember to change your ad rotation setting to - Rotate indefinitely so that you get even traffic on both your pages.

This would mean you would be splitting your traffic by 50%. 

The issue here agin is that when adwords rotates your ads, it does so based on the number of impressions - which would mean that your older ads(with more history) will have a higher CTR - which means that the traffic is not really equally split. 

Bu this will give you a good idea on the performance trend of the page.

Also, since you are testing, I would suggest not testing this for 50% of your traffic. Testing is generally done in phases. there are 2 approaches you could take for this:

1 - test the new page only for a few ad groups

2 - Use experiments to control the % of impressions your ads with the new URLs should have. This means you can get 20% of your overall traffic to see your new pages versus 80% going to the old pages.

This would help to ensure that IF the test does not work in your favor, you stand to lose only 20%. This type of testing may be slower but it maybe a safer approach for radical tests.

You can do this using 'Experiments' under your settings tab. Your could read more about it here.

Please let me know if you need any more clarity on this!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt G
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Matt,

The easiest way to implement this testing is to replicate your ads and have a different URL.

The issue here would be that is you have 2-3 ads in the adgroup, you will need to replicate all those ads:

Campaign A

Adgroup 1 - Ad 1 - URL 1

Adgroup 1 - Ad 1 - URL 2

Adgroup 1 - Ad 2 - URL 1

Adgroup 1 - Ad 2 - URL 2

Adgroup 1 - Ad 3 - URL 1

Adgroup 1 - Ad 3 - URL 2

Remember to change your ad rotation setting to - Rotate indefinitely so that you get even traffic on both your pages.

This would mean you would be splitting your traffic by 50%. 

The issue here agin is that when adwords rotates your ads, it does so based on the number of impressions - which would mean that your older ads(with more history) will have a higher CTR - which means that the traffic is not really equally split. 

Bu this will give you a good idea on the performance trend of the page.

Also, since you are testing, I would suggest not testing this for 50% of your traffic. Testing is generally done in phases. there are 2 approaches you could take for this:

1 - test the new page only for a few ad groups

2 - Use experiments to control the % of impressions your ads with the new URLs should have. This means you can get 20% of your overall traffic to see your new pages versus 80% going to the old pages.

This would help to ensure that IF the test does not work in your favor, you stand to lose only 20%. This type of testing may be slower but it maybe a safer approach for radical tests.

You can do this using 'Experiments' under your settings tab. Your could read more about it here.

Please let me know if you need any more clarity on this!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

This is great advice from Shweta here.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great explanation. Looks like it will be easiest to test the landing pages by your methods. Then its a simple can of pausing the ad's with the underperforming LP.

cheers!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Glad I could help Matt! Smiley Happy

All the best for your testing!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor