AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Best practice set up for similar audiences and remarketing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've taken over a client's AdWords account and noticed that some campaigns were targeting both remarketing and similar audience lists within the same ad group. Using Google Analytics I was able to see that around 60% of the traffic from the ad group came from automatic matching (similar audience I presume) and the remaining 40% from remarketing/content targeting (remarketing).

 

Wanting more control over these, I created a new ad group for similar audience and removed that part of the targeting from the original ad group so it was focused exclusively on remarketing.

 

Since doing this, however, it seems that the similar audience ad group is starving the remarketing ad group of clicks - the split now appears around 90/10. I've since noticed that the campaign was set to Influence consideration > Visit your website but have changed this to Drive action > Buy on your website.

 

Will this help revitalise the remarketing ad group do you think? Are there other considerations or best practice I should be mindful of when managing this type of campaign? 

 

Any input/advice gratefully received!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Darren P
August 2016

Re: Best practice set up for similar audiences and remarketing?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Darren P

 

If you're looking for more control on the spend allocation, I think your best bet is to create a separate campaign for each.  Then you can explicitly control how much goes towards each one.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Darren P
August 2016

Re: Best practice set up for similar audiences and remarketing?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Darren P

 

If you're looking for more control on the spend allocation, I think your best bet is to create a separate campaign for each.  Then you can explicitly control how much goes towards each one.

Re: Best practice set up for similar audiences and remarketing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@David Kyle - thanks for the reply Smiley Happy

 

Yeah, I figured that may be my best option. I'm keen to understand these types of campaigns a little more though so would love to hear how other people have set theirs up and see if I have missed something.

Re: Best practice set up for similar audiences and remarketing?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Darren P

 

I'm not certain those settings you mentioned really make much of a difference, but I could be wrong on that. I guess it's something you could test.  

A remarketing list is people who visit your website.  If it applies to your situation, I would take advantage of the ability to build specific lists of people who visit certain categories/products, and even people that make it to the checkout page if you're doing ecommerce, which it sounds like you are

 

I love similar audience lists.  I've seen evidence that it's built from the lists of your competitors, at least partially.  Before it was disallowed for criminal attorneys to have remarketing lists, the similar audience list for that vertical was a lead generating machine!  I really miss it for that vertical.