AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Best practice for device

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

What´s your recommendation and best practice for showing ads in multiple devices - to separate or not to separate? - that is this is question.

Here is one case:

Account has 12 campaigns, 80 ad groups and 1400 keywords. All campaigns targeting Google Search and desktops and tablets only.

Customer wants to add mobile. What to do: just add it in each campaign, or copy the whole thing and create 12 identical campaigns only targeting mobiles. Yes I´ll add call extensions, but there is no room for creating mobile customized ads at this moment.

Website is not mobile fit.

This is not an online store, but they do get conversions through form.

I expect lower conversions rate, but also lower CPC for mobile devices.

Pro´s and con´s ?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David_Precisera
September 2015

Re: Best practice for device

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I'm guessing you'll get a lot of different opinions on this. Mine is that I'd serve the mobile traffic in a separate campaign.

In my opinion, any time you change platforms, you're going to want to manage the data separately, to get the best results. I prefer to be able to manage my keyword lists and ads for mobile traffic separately than I do for desktop traffic simply because keywords work differently on the different platforms. Also, sometimes I find I can replace four or five desktop campaigns with one mobile campaign. (That is, sometimes very few keywords produce any clicks when served on mobile devices and I find I don't need separate campaigns to manage them.)

On the other hand, if your website isn't mobile-friendly, then I'd say you already know where to start any mobile advertising initiative. Start by creating at least a few landing pages for your mobile traffic, and have those pages written in a mobile-friendly code. If you're planning to specifically invest money in mobile, it only makes sense to do what you can to produce success, right?

Of course, there's the simple approach--where you just turn mobile device serving on and see what happens--but without mobile-friendly landing pages and without mobile-targeted ads, I don't hold out much hope of success.

That's my $0.02.  Woman Happy

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David_Precisera
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I'm guessing you'll get a lot of different opinions on this. Mine is that I'd serve the mobile traffic in a separate campaign.

In my opinion, any time you change platforms, you're going to want to manage the data separately, to get the best results. I prefer to be able to manage my keyword lists and ads for mobile traffic separately than I do for desktop traffic simply because keywords work differently on the different platforms. Also, sometimes I find I can replace four or five desktop campaigns with one mobile campaign. (That is, sometimes very few keywords produce any clicks when served on mobile devices and I find I don't need separate campaigns to manage them.)

On the other hand, if your website isn't mobile-friendly, then I'd say you already know where to start any mobile advertising initiative. Start by creating at least a few landing pages for your mobile traffic, and have those pages written in a mobile-friendly code. If you're planning to specifically invest money in mobile, it only makes sense to do what you can to produce success, right?

Of course, there's the simple approach--where you just turn mobile device serving on and see what happens--but without mobile-friendly landing pages and without mobile-targeted ads, I don't hold out much hope of success.

That's my $0.02.  Woman Happy

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Thats much more than 2 cents Theresa!

Can you perhaps elaborate just a little on thos: keywords work differently on the different platforms 

Thanks!

More opinions are welcome!

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi David, 

Thanks for your question and thanks too also to Theresa for some making some brilliant points.

I would agree with Theresa here and would recommend splitting out your mobile ads into a separate campaign. This would help you optimise for the different parameters of the mobile market as well as helping you run more accurate reporting on your mobile ads. 

With WAP phones it used to be the case that users typed in fewer keywords when searching on their phones, however, with phones that have full browsers (like iPhones and Android devices) this is no longer the case. Users type in roughly the same length keywords on a desktop computer and on mobiles with a full browser, so you would not need to amend your keywords too heavily. 

The greater control you achieve with splitting out your mobile campaigns should help you get better results with your campaign overall.

A.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi David, 

I would also just double check that you do not have any Flash on the landing page, as this can cause a problem when the landing page is viewed on mobiles. Ads targeted to mobiles with landing pages that have Flash on them sometimes do not serve. 

A. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Good morning David,

I'd like to add one more comment, if you decide to use the CPA bidding strategy (I believe you're currently using Max CPC bidding) splitting up Web and Mobile is a MUST. The reason for this, Adwords doesn't support CPA bidding for mobile devices (Yet)