AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Best Way to Organize AdGroups For Products

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What's the best way to organize my adgroups for products.

Given I have a compaign called "MyBrand". MyBrand has products which has multiple attributes:

Category

Table Lamps

Floor Lamps

Chandeliers

Collection

CollA

CollB

CollC

Color

Red

Orange

Green

Should I create an adgroup per collection or category and append different attributes to it, for example:

Adgroup: TableLamps

Keywords: MyBrand Table Lamps Red, MyBrand Table Lamps Orange, MyBrand Table Lamps Green

Or create an adgroup per Attribute, for example:

Adgroup: Category:

Keywords: MyBrand Table Lamps, MyBrand Floor Lamps, MyBrand Chandeliers

Or should I just have one adgroup and with keywords including all attributes, for example: MyBrand Table Lamps, MyBrand CollA, MyBrand Red etc

Or what is the best practice for organizing adgroups for products? I know it's recommended to create tightly grouped adgroups based on type of product, but I'm looking for more specific guidance. 

Note, these keywords are being generated from our system (not manually) so I need to just tell it how to generate them.

Also, all the keywords will have it's own destination URL, - keyword-based URLs.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Best Way to Organize AdGroups For Products

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi rivka and welcome to the forum.  You've picked a great question to kick off with as organisation of Ad Groups is key to a successful Adwords campaign; I'll try to do it justice.

I always think it's best to try and think like a customer.  What is the most likely path your potential customers are going to take to find your site?  In the example you've quoted, I would wager that most searchers are likely to focus on the category of product as their major search term - they're more likely to know they want a floor lamp than to be absolutely certain it has to be red and from a particular collection.  In this case, I'd therefore organise my groups and keywords by these categories.

How do you cope with the variations?  What if they do specify red, or Collection A?  How you deal with this can be led a lot by examining the search term data you gather as the campaign runs and you receive clicks.  However, you can allow for such variations by using some phrase or modified broad matches (e.g. +table +lamp or "table lamp") which will allow for "red table lamp" to trigger and by using Dynamic Keyword Insertion to allow your ads to closely match the search term.

If you get a lot of specific queries for the collections or variations, you could consider having multiple "floor lamp" Ad Groups, catering for these specific terms and with keywords and ad copy to best match.

The general rule for Adwords is always to try and get the keyword, the Ad, and the site landing page to match what the user is looking for as closely as possible.  If you follow this guideline, you can usually see how best to organise your groups.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say "these keywords are being generated from our system"?

Hope this helps,

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi rivka and welcome to the forum.  You've picked a great question to kick off with as organisation of Ad Groups is key to a successful Adwords campaign; I'll try to do it justice.

I always think it's best to try and think like a customer.  What is the most likely path your potential customers are going to take to find your site?  In the example you've quoted, I would wager that most searchers are likely to focus on the category of product as their major search term - they're more likely to know they want a floor lamp than to be absolutely certain it has to be red and from a particular collection.  In this case, I'd therefore organise my groups and keywords by these categories.

How do you cope with the variations?  What if they do specify red, or Collection A?  How you deal with this can be led a lot by examining the search term data you gather as the campaign runs and you receive clicks.  However, you can allow for such variations by using some phrase or modified broad matches (e.g. +table +lamp or "table lamp") which will allow for "red table lamp" to trigger and by using Dynamic Keyword Insertion to allow your ads to closely match the search term.

If you get a lot of specific queries for the collections or variations, you could consider having multiple "floor lamp" Ad Groups, catering for these specific terms and with keywords and ad copy to best match.

The general rule for Adwords is always to try and get the keyword, the Ad, and the site landing page to match what the user is looking for as closely as possible.  If you follow this guideline, you can usually see how best to organise your groups.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say "these keywords are being generated from our system"?

Hope this helps,

Jon

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your detailed response. 

The way you suggested is how I have been doing my previous campaings - by category, and appending other attributes like color and collection.

Concern I had with this approach:

The majority of the keywords had a low search volume and havent gotten any impressions, because they're long-tailed. Also, what I do for searches that just want to search a specific collection - MyBrand CollA - without a category? I know phrase and broad matches will do this but then the ad relevancy won't be good. Because I create the ads with the category keyword in it.

Hope I'm clear.

Regarding keywords geneated from our system: we developed a tool that generates a list of keyword for the specified brand/attributes from our database.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi rivka, sometimes you just have to compromise.  The ideal with Adwords is always that the user types in a search term that exactly matches an exact match keyword in one of your groups and clicks on an Ad that's perfect for them, leading to a page selling exactly the product they're looking for.  In the real world though, sometimes this isn't possible.

If you weren't getting the impressions (and presumably therefore, the clicks) with your previous approach, it may simply be necessary to broaden your approach and have less tightly focused ads.  As I mentioned, broad and phrase keywords can still get a decent ad relevancy if you use DKI effectively.

If you think people are looking just for brand/collection, there's nothing to stop you having Ad Groups designed around these searches and landing pages that showcase various items from those collections.  There's nothing wrong with having a "tiered" approach to organising your account.

From the sound of things you've got a substantial product list.  It may be that using the Adwords API would give you some automation in your keywords and allow much longer lists than perhaps you have at the moment.

Sorry this is rather vague but it's hard to give much more detailed advice without knowing more about your company/site.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @Cobnut