AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Best Practice for Running Choosing Keywords Within a Campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I would like some advise on best practice when choosing keywords for an ad campaign. I am running ads for the car insurance market and at the moment the keywords in the campaign are...

car insurance
"car insurance"
[car insurance]
[car insurance quote]
[car insurance ireland]

I am just wondering would it be better to choose many more keywords and only using [exact match]?

Your thoughts are welcomed.

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Best Practice for Running Choosing Keywords Within a Campaign

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I think it is really impossible to give a general answer to this questions. It depends so much on your business segment, your margins, your budget, your knowledge about the market (searchmarketing-wise), your conversion rates, and more.

I can however say that I generally try to do this: refrain from using broad match (though I like modified broad match), AND to add the same keyword using several matching options ("car insurance", +car +insurance, [car insurance]) in the same ad group. The latter in order to get as much ackurate data as possible at the same time as I explore - in a careful way - what people actually search for.

The more I know a know about a segment (search behaviours, conversion costs and more) the more I use narrower targering options (phrase - exact).

And the more often I check keywords I have, the more daring I can be (broad match), cause I can quickly  - without wasting too much money - react and  delete or add keywords.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Glen,

I think you should use phrase match instead of exact match because you are using very less keywords and in exact match you will get less impression comparative phrase match.

As per your keyword selection problem, you should use all those keywords which are related to your service for analysing more keywords you should use Contextual targeting Beta!

Regards

-Vicky

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Glen,

In addition to above thoughts by David and Voldemrt, i want to add some more thoughts:

If you are starting with all together a new campaign, i suggest you to use keywords suggestion tool under tool and analysis tab & look for both positive keywords those are related to your business/services. While looking for positive keywords you can also look for negative keywords those are unrelated to your business & you can add them in your campaing as campaign level negatives such as install, installations etc.

I think you must start with broad match modifier 0r broad, phrase and exact keywords. After running it for 30 days you can analyze which match type is bringing you more business.

Later, you can always run search query report and add negative and well as new positive keywords.

You may also look for ideas from Opportunties tab under Google Adwords Interface.

Tightly themed adgroups and negative keywords at campaign as well as adgroup level really helps.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi GlenBob,

To start off, brainstorming is really important where you put all the ideas related to your business on a spreadsheet.

Then use the Keyword tool for most of the variations which could be captured considering the data based on monthly search volume and other metrics.

Google Insight for Search is an excellent way of finding how various terms are outperforming in different regions across the globe. It will help you understand which terms you should focu more in which specific regions.

Traffic estimator is another excellent tool provided by Google for advertisers which takes into account the maximum you want to spend on daily basis and what max. CPC you are comfortable with.

Keyword match types are very important. Every match type have different aspects to work with. If Exact can give you right targeted traffic, then on another hand, broad match or broad modifier can give you much broader traffic. Of course with large traffic, you will have to deal with irrelevant traffic also and include them as negative keywords.

Running a Search Terms Report is an excellent way of finding which keyword is delivering what search query along with match type and whether the traffic is relevant or irrelevant.

To learn more, if you have Google Analytics installed for your website, you can go to Traffic Sources>>Sources>>Search>>Organic. Here, you will get to see how users are interacting with your natural search engine results and using what kind of queries. You might get some new keyword ideas from here.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I think it is really impossible to give a general answer to this questions. It depends so much on your business segment, your margins, your budget, your knowledge about the market (searchmarketing-wise), your conversion rates, and more.

I can however say that I generally try to do this: refrain from using broad match (though I like modified broad match), AND to add the same keyword using several matching options ("car insurance", +car +insurance, [car insurance]) in the same ad group. The latter in order to get as much ackurate data as possible at the same time as I explore - in a careful way - what people actually search for.

The more I know a know about a segment (search behaviours, conversion costs and more) the more I use narrower targering options (phrase - exact).

And the more often I check keywords I have, the more daring I can be (broad match), cause I can quickly  - without wasting too much money - react and  delete or add keywords.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Glen,

I think you should use phrase match instead of exact match because you are using very less keywords and in exact match you will get less impression comparative phrase match.

As per your keyword selection problem, you should use all those keywords which are related to your service for analysing more keywords you should use Contextual targeting Beta!

Regards

-Vicky

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Glen,

In addition to above thoughts by David and Voldemrt, i want to add some more thoughts:

If you are starting with all together a new campaign, i suggest you to use keywords suggestion tool under tool and analysis tab & look for both positive keywords those are related to your business/services. While looking for positive keywords you can also look for negative keywords those are unrelated to your business & you can add them in your campaing as campaign level negatives such as install, installations etc.

I think you must start with broad match modifier 0r broad, phrase and exact keywords. After running it for 30 days you can analyze which match type is bringing you more business.

Later, you can always run search query report and add negative and well as new positive keywords.

You may also look for ideas from Opportunties tab under Google Adwords Interface.

Tightly themed adgroups and negative keywords at campaign as well as adgroup level really helps.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi GlenBob,

To start off, brainstorming is really important where you put all the ideas related to your business on a spreadsheet.

Then use the Keyword tool for most of the variations which could be captured considering the data based on monthly search volume and other metrics.

Google Insight for Search is an excellent way of finding how various terms are outperforming in different regions across the globe. It will help you understand which terms you should focu more in which specific regions.

Traffic estimator is another excellent tool provided by Google for advertisers which takes into account the maximum you want to spend on daily basis and what max. CPC you are comfortable with.

Keyword match types are very important. Every match type have different aspects to work with. If Exact can give you right targeted traffic, then on another hand, broad match or broad modifier can give you much broader traffic. Of course with large traffic, you will have to deal with irrelevant traffic also and include them as negative keywords.

Running a Search Terms Report is an excellent way of finding which keyword is delivering what search query along with match type and whether the traffic is relevant or irrelevant.

To learn more, if you have Google Analytics installed for your website, you can go to Traffic Sources>>Sources>>Search>>Organic. Here, you will get to see how users are interacting with your natural search engine results and using what kind of queries. You might get some new keyword ideas from here.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David, voldemrt, Neha, pankaj,

Thanks a mill for all your useful input. I can take a good bit of inofrmation away with me from your above comments and refine my campaign. You guys have been very helpfull.

Cheers and going forward I hope to contribute to the disucssion as well.

GlenBob

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi GlenBob,

Keep coming up here for your additional Adwords questions and the Community will be glad to assist you Smiley Happy

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Glenbob,

Yeah we are happy to help! 

Thanks

Neha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Glen,

I am Pravu, have been working on paid search on various channels.

I read the discussion. David, voldemrt, Neha, pankaj provided their great experiences and reccommendations. That definitely going to help you. In addition to what they said, I would like to share my experience on this issue. I would go by some bullet points:

First and foremost you need to be very organized while managing your Adword campaigns. This would help you in efficient management at less effort and you can do a proper analysis of your data.

1. Create different adgroups on the basis of keyword theme.

2. Keep each adgroups very tight.. may not more than 5-6 keywords.

3. Separate your primary keywords from secondary keyword. This would allow you to be aggressive on your high performing keywords.

4. Another approach is to create separate adgroups for Broad Match, Pharse match and Exact Match keywords. And divert traffic using to the right group using proper negative keywords on group level.

4.Create separate campaign for geo-modifier keywords. And use Dynamic KWD Insertion Adcopy.

5. Always try to keep your search campaigns separate from display campaign.

6.On display network I recommend considering expanding your keyword list and ad groups to more themes. This would allow the product to work on more inventory across more websites in the Google Display Network.

7. Make the best use of your negative keywords. Update your negative keywords regularly by using various keyword tools.

8. When ever you add any keyword to any group, make sure you have a related adcopy for that keyword to get triggered.

I hope this is going to help you in promoting your business in a profitable way. Good Luck.

Thanks,

Pravu.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pravu,

That's some good info.

Quick question on point 8. So lets say within my AdGroup (Car Insurance) I add various Keywords such as Cheap Car Insurance are you suggesting that I create an ad for this then? Then going forward I will have many ad's within my current ad Adgroup. At the moment I have 3 ads running within my adgroup for my choosen keywords.