AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Best Display Targeting?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Excluding user demographics, wouldn't the best way to target display advertising (maximum conversion rate) be to use the Display Planner to get a list of placements (websites, apps, etc) Google thinks are relative to your product/service/topic and visit each website to determine how relevant it really is?  

Granted this may be the most time consuming method depending on how broad of reach your product/service/topic has, but it seems to me, targeting topics, interests, keywords, etc really is taking a huge leap of faith that Google will match your ads to the most relevant sites with the highest conversion potential.

I would expect if you did this and looked at a report of actual sites the ads were displayed on, you'd discover sites that were actually not so relevant.  Seems a human review is aways most accurate as far as relvancy, no?  So is the reason to use topic, interest or keyword placements really just a more lazy, ehh um, less time consuming way of targeting your display ads?  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best Display Targeting?

ANP Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
ANP Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Jeff,

You raise a good point; human validation is important and perhaps essential to running a truly great campaign. The one nuance I would point out is that you don't necessarily have to front-load the work and review each placement before advertising. If, for example, your primary goal is conversions and you are willing to invest the time and resources into a little R&D, one best practice is to permit your ads to run on system suggested placements and then begin to remove those placements after a period of time (week or two should do) based on performance. This method allows you to test high performing placements you might have not otherwise discovered or even considered.

ANP

Re: Best Display Targeting?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

If you went through the website placement lists for all possible topics, would you not see the complete list of all websites in Google's Display Ad Network?  Obviously many topics would be irrelevant so I think I'd rather just review all the sites rather than risk wasting money on sites Google's Server things are relevant, but actually aren't.