AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Best Campaign Structure: Driving App Downloads (iOS & Android) & Website Sign-ups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm setting up a campaign on a search and display with three goals:

- Drive iOS App downloads (for mobile iOS users)

- Drive Android App downloads (for mobile Android users)

- Drive website sign-ups (for computer users)

I'm not sure what the best structure is.

Ideally I'd just like my ads to send the user to the right destination depending on where he is. I'd prefer not to have to manage 6 different campaigns for these different scenarios.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Re: Best Campaign Structure: Driving App Downloads (iOS & Android) & Website Sign-ups

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Florian,

Google allows you to create an app campaign that targets mobile users with ads that encourage those users to download your mobile app from the ad itself.

You can also choose a search campaign and add the mobile app extension, but it may not show every time a user searches on a smart phone device.

You can target website sign-ups and mobile app downloads with the same search campaign, again, using the app extension. Campaigns should be based upon the goals of the account such as targeting different services or products. From your question, it is unclear if that is the case. If you could provide your website or or description of what you are advertising on / for that would help determine if you actually need more than one search campaign.

Let me know if that helps!

Nick

Re: Best Campaign Structure: Driving App Downloads (iOS & Android) & Website Sign-ups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Nick,

I'm advertising a service that has an App (iOS & Android) but also a web interface.
I'd like to find the simplest setup to receive downloads from mobile and signups from desktop/laptop.

And I will want to advertise on both - search and display.

From what it seems I need to create 6 different campaigns for that. But it surprises me, I would have thought that this is quite a common need.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Florian,

I'm uncertain why you believe this will take 6 campaigns. You can easily do this with one search and display campaign, or 3 campaigns with a search, display and universal app campaign.

You definitely don't need 6 campaigns just for the sake of targeting the goals you listed above.

Nick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
From what you say and what I've read I will need:
- Search campaign for iOS downloads
- Search campaign for Android downloads
- Search campaign for website Sign-ups (non-mobile traffic)
- Display campaign for iOS downloads
- Display campaign for Android downloads
- Display campaign for website Sign-ups (non-mobile traffic)

The reason that I'm separating search and display for the web sign-ups as well is that I imagine that Search + Display campaigns don't allow to narrow targeting only on the display side (for ex by topic), correct?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Florian,

I believe you are getting confused. You do not need separate campaigns for ios vs. android downloads as it is dependent on the user's device. If they are using an apple product it will automatically show ios download app extensions, and the same for android capable devices for google play.

At most you will need 3 campaigns: a search campaign for website sign-ups, a display campaign for website sign-ups and a universal app campaign that targets mobile users to download the app across search and display channels.

Let me know if that helps!

Nick

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok. That would be wonderful.

Two questions regarding your suggestion:
1. The final URL of an ad will be static, so I can only chose iOS or Android not both. How do I get around that? I understand that an App download extension lets me input both, but not the ads themselves (final URL)
2. From reading the help pages about Universal campaigns I understood that they were solely for Android, and not iOS?! Is that wrong? Where do I set the second my iOS link?

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just to close this off for anyone that might read this, I have had to make 5 campaigns at the end:
• Android downloads (Search + Display)
• iOS downloads (Search)
• iOS downloads (Targeted Display)
• Website sign-up (Search)
• Website sign-up (Targeted Display)

From what I hear Google is working on Universal campaigns for iOS but at the time of writing this it's only supported for Android...
Good luck.