AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Best AdWords Bid Management Tools

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

I would like to hear your opinions and feedbacks on the best bid management tools available for large accounts. (500k+ keywords)  please share your experience and valuable suggestions. 

Regards,

Infas

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best AdWords Bid Management Tools

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Infas,

I have worked with AdWords and other bid management tools(mainly kenshoo, marin, doubleclick) for a long time... before moving on to even evaluating the pros and cons of the tools, I would like to know what your problem is.. Is it the sheer number of keywords in the account? and controlling the bids for these?
For any bid management tool to work, you need to identify a certain set of rules you want to set while optimizing. If those rules are simple like "if KW avg position in the last D days is less than P, increase bids by X%, keeping the max bid less than $Y" then this is doable using AdWords.
AdWords itself has come a long way with rules and scripts to help in bid management. unless the rules you want to set are complicated, I would suggest using adwords.. If you want to use a tool, personally I prefer Kenshoo..
Let us know the type of management you need and then maybe I could give you a better solution.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Sorry - posted from the wrong account before. Posting from the correct account now.

Hi Infas,

Great question! In my experience, all of the bid management platforms are useful. The real question is, which what suits your needs and your budget.

The best thing to do is to make an Excel sheet listing each of your priorities in the rows. Then put the Vendors in the columns and use that to lay out your comparison of vendors based upon the features that are important to you.

Here are some things you might want to consider as you are reviewing the different platforms:
•Is there a conversion goal? Are you tracking multiple goals and do they have different values?
•The capability of automated rules, if you intend to use them. This relates closely to the previous questions as some platforms work better with multiple conversion types than others. It really just depends on how sophisticated you need the rules to be.
•Are you hoping to integrate with other platforms? (For instance, call tracking or site analytics data.)
•What Analytics platform do you use and how does it work with your tracking string? Can it auto-append your tracking string for you?
•Do you have to sync your changes in the Search Engines or does it auto-sync?
•Are any reporting functionalities important to you?
•What you are willing to pay. Many of the platforms' fee is a certain percentage of spend but if you spend enough, you may be able to negotiate the percentage.
•Navigation/Ease of use (you'll probably need to schedule demos for that)

Good luck!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you Shroffs for your feedback, Yes I agree adWords has come a long way on this, As you suggested I should probably try out some AdWords rules and scripts,

The reason to evaluate different tools to understand what are the top 3 bid management tools available out there that can handle large number of keywords effectively.. to make sure our ads are appearing for all the keywords at an optimal Cost per click.

I would like to shortlist 3 tools and mainly evaluate their features, UI, Cost etc.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks @amy this is a really helpful reply, based on your experience what are the top 3 bid management tools out there (overall rating)

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Infas,

As Shweta said, Kenshoo is a good one. It's generally a little more expensive, though, and if you don't need complex bid management rules, then it could be overkill. I really like Acquisio's reporting functionality and the fact that it automatically syncs with the changes we make in the engines. Plus, it's generally pretty affordable as far as bid management platforms go. I haven't personally used Marin but I know several people that really like it. Adobe media optimizer has a lot of great features, as well, especially if you use SiteCatalyst.

It really just depends on what your end goal is. If your main requirements are bidding rules and they aren't too complex, AdWords automated rules could be the best solution, which would save you some money. Are you running media anywhere outside of AdWords?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Infas,

The top 3 bid management tools in the market are(in no particular order):
Doubleclick
Marin and
Kenshoo
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Infas,

I completely agree with Shweta and Amy on this.

Although, Kenshoo and Marin are amongst the top 3 bid management tools, I personally feel AdWords in itself has come a long way and is much more easier to use and implement account level bulk changes when it comes to bids or budgets.

I may be biased here since I started working on AdWords and then went on to Kenshoo and Marin but I personally feel, Kenshoo and Marin are better for reporting cross platform data and combining learnings from different ad platforms.

Hope this help.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Infas,

I know I'm a little late here but I wanted to share a few thoughts and thank those of you who have responded as this information is also helpful to me.

I'm actually in the midst of actively reviewing platforms myself. Upon the decision to pursue a potential platform for both advanced bid management (across multiple PPC platforms) as well as robust reporting (3rd party integration is vital for us), I polled dozens of colleagues. I tried to learn about the "why" behind their decisions and what void they were trying to fill. I've done my own research, held calls and met with folks from many platforms (all mentioned here throughout the great and insightful responses you've received) and IMO, each platform has positives and negatives, it will depend greatly on what is important to you.

My advise, FWIW, as it was previously mentioned, understand your needs and desires first. Answer simple questions that you know will be asked of you in a sales call - or get on a sales call to get the wheels spinning. Why do you think need a platform? What are you struggling with? What are your pain points? etc...Then you might even find, once you really start digging into the various platforms/options and talking with reps, more questions will arise. I actually did exactly what Amy described, I have a sheet with options, solutions, providers, features, costs and other notes as well as what we've found are our "must-haves". It's been quite interesting so far and I'm no where near completed the process.

It's a big decision and in most respects a significant investment of time and money. I wish you all the best. Smiley Happy

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Infas,

I'm also late to the party, but wanted to throw in my vote for Scripts.  Bear in mind that every commercial bid management tool is going to charge for their usage, possibly quite a lot.  Depending upon your needs, it may be much more cost effective to design your own solution, specifically tailored to your needs.  Any commercial product tends to try and be all things to all people so you'll inevitably end up paying for many elements you don't want or need.  A bespoke scripting solution could address only those elements you wish to and be always under your total control.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits