AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Bad Request

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm running Apache 2.2 servers on AWS behind an ELB.

I have created ads with a correct link, the link wrks when you click it in Adwords console and Adwords says the link is valid and shows the ads.

BUT when you click the live advert (eg from google.com) my servers give a Bad Request. If you refresh the page it works. The server error_logs are giving:

[error] [client 10.0.0.120] request failed: error reading the headers

the access logs return a 400.

Any ideas?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christian C
September 2015

Re: Bad Request

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Fixed the problem - AdWords sends a rather large refer header (sometimes 1.5K0. Because we have secure server installation, the apache config was limiting headers to 256 bytes... hard bug to find, especially because all the test links from AdWords worked (as the refer header is not included)

Thanks for your replies.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Christian C,
Are you still seeing this error? What is your destination URL?

Kathleen

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Are you using auto-tagging for your ads? Does your website have a problem with the auto-tagging code?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Christian,

From what I understand and have read about web serves, it seems to me that you may have a problem with your destination URL.

To clarify further, the 400 Bad Request error is usually given when the Web server (running the Web site) thinks that the data stream sent by the client was 'malformed' i.e. it did not respect the HTTP protocol completely. So the Web server was unable to understand the request and process it.

One of the most common mistakes with with Destination URL's that I have seen is that people tend to put a space right before the url ends or in different places in the URL itself. Some browsers rectify this issue (e.g. - Chrome) and show your page successfully but some other browsers don't do that.

Check the URL at your end and try again and let us know if this helped.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christian C
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Fixed the problem - AdWords sends a rather large refer header (sometimes 1.5K0. Because we have secure server installation, the apache config was limiting headers to 256 bytes... hard bug to find, especially because all the test links from AdWords worked (as the refer header is not included)

Thanks for your replies.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Thats great news Christian!

This bug is something even I haven't hear of. Great job finding it!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"