AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

BMModifier and Keyword Bids

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I used to have all broad-match keywords. I've decided to instead change to broad match modifier keywords. But now adwords is telling me I'm not on the first page for these search terms. For example:

Say I used to have broad match keyword x y z

Whenever I searched for x y z in google or did an ad preview & diagnosis, I saw my ad appear top. I also got clicks from visitors through it and it roughly matched how many searches google's traffic estimates predicted.

Now that I've changed it to +x +y +z, it is saying that I'm not on the first page and the bid needed is so much higher.

I've read many pages on the broad match modifier type and I still don't understand exactly why this happens. Can someone help me understand it please? Where were all of these other bidders hiding when I searched for x y z before?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: BMModifier and Keyword Bids

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

Welcome to AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

Every keyword whether it is in broad match or BMM, have quality score, that define your estimated top page bid, estimated first page bid and Ad Rank of your ads.

And quality score here determines by following factors:-

CTR of the keyword
Relevancy of your keywords with ads and landing page.
Account History
So please increase the Quality score of your BMM keywords.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

Also previously your ad rank is calculated by Max CPC and Quality Score. But now it is calculated by max CPC, QS and Ad extension format. I think its also impact your keywords Ad rank.

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2013/10/improving-ad-rank.html?m=1

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

Besides the great advice from Rakesh I would like to assist here too with my opinion on the case :

When you created a new keyword , until it receives 1000 impressions , the QS and the estimates are based on the history of the keyword across all accounts . Also if the ad group has no appoved or eligible Ads the estimates are 10 times higher than the normal estimates for the first page or top of page. My Advice would be to check if the Ads are approved and wait 1-2 hours for the data to bounce back to some normal values , closely to what you have seen for the simple broad for the same keywords.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the replies. Looks like an hour later it is working fine again and I'm back to top. There were no new ads being approved, I already have approved ads in those groups. I'm still nowhere near 1000 impressions on any of them, so I'm not sure it's that. Perhaps it was just another temporary adwords glitch? like when it tells me my url doesn't work after I submit a new ad, then minutes later it's working fine.