AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

BMM vs Broad terms in the same campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

1. I have a concern pertaining to BMM keywords competing with Broad terms in same campaign. For instance, I have created a separate adgroup for BMM keywords leaving our existing broad match keywords active (rather than modifying or removing them as recommended) and have placed higher bids than the broad terms, so does the Broad terms still have potential to participate in the auction? If yes, then how to eliminate broad traffic in this case?

2. Also, do I need to create different ad copies in separate adgroup for BMM keywords? 

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Rahil

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rahil
September 2015

Re: BMM vs Broad terms in the same campaign

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Rahil,

If I get this right, you have keywords with the same text in two different ad groups separated by match type. 1 Ad group - just broad match keywords, 2 ad group - just modified broad match keywords.

Now you want to elminate traffic for broad match keywords. How? Completely? If yes, then just stop that ad group and don't use it.

If you want to just make sure your broad match keywords are not stealing from your BMM keywords, then higher bidding on BMM is a good way to go. But this is not complete elimination.

You can add keywords/words from BMM ad group as a negative keywords in broad match ad group. So this way every search queries for these exact keywords will be directed to your BMM ad group.
But that wouldn't be enough, you would also had to add all modified terms(or close variations) in any order as negative keywords to completely send pure Broad match traffic in one ad group and pure BMM traffic to the second ad group.

That is near to impossible imo.

And the answer on your second question: No you can have the same ad copies if you are targeting the same keywords in both ad groups, then there shouldn't be any problem.

Alex

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rahil
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Rahil,

If I get this right, you have keywords with the same text in two different ad groups separated by match type. 1 Ad group - just broad match keywords, 2 ad group - just modified broad match keywords.

Now you want to elminate traffic for broad match keywords. How? Completely? If yes, then just stop that ad group and don't use it.

If you want to just make sure your broad match keywords are not stealing from your BMM keywords, then higher bidding on BMM is a good way to go. But this is not complete elimination.

You can add keywords/words from BMM ad group as a negative keywords in broad match ad group. So this way every search queries for these exact keywords will be directed to your BMM ad group.
But that wouldn't be enough, you would also had to add all modified terms(or close variations) in any order as negative keywords to completely send pure Broad match traffic in one ad group and pure BMM traffic to the second ad group.

That is near to impossible imo.

And the answer on your second question: No you can have the same ad copies if you are targeting the same keywords in both ad groups, then there shouldn't be any problem.

Alex

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi  @Rahil,

@Tomáš Kraus covered the topic for you. I would add that generally, due to the huge number of synonyms matched to the "classic broad,"  - I do not use  broad match anymore. They bring traffic, but in most cases irrelevant one.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Alex for the clarification. Appreciate your help!

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
You're welcome Rahil!