AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

BMM or exact match?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I'm trying to understand the use of BMM vs. exact match terms in relation to CTR and CTR.

Will I be better of adding exact matches in addition to bmm? For instance, if im selling ski socks:

will:

[red ski socks]

give me a better QS than

+red +ski +socks

?

Would it make sense to constantly add bmm clicks as exact matches or am I just doubleling my work load?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: BMM or exact match?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

[red ski socks]

give me a better QS than

+red +ski +socks

it surely will give you better QS and better CTR too in most of the cases combined with lower cpc.

So you have to have both keywords, but larget debate is weather you should have them in same campaign or diffrent campaigns for BMM and Exact.

There are 2 schools of thoughts here, some suggest all 3 matchtypes in same campaigns some suggest diffrent campaigns. I think it will be intriguing if every one can  share their theories here

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

[red ski socks]

give me a better QS than

+red +ski +socks

it surely will give you better QS and better CTR too in most of the cases combined with lower cpc.

So you have to have both keywords, but larget debate is weather you should have them in same campaign or diffrent campaigns for BMM and Exact.

There are 2 schools of thoughts here, some suggest all 3 matchtypes in same campaigns some suggest diffrent campaigns. I think it will be intriguing if every one can  share their theories here

Regards, Nik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the clarification, looking forward to the discussion as you pointed out!

So, best practice would be to add all 3 variations of the red ski socks keyword in either their own ad group or the same. Is this to prevent a lower CTR caused by the broad match? Could this incluence the exact match?

I guess the same goes for phrase match 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi jannerbasse,

I would include all three match types, either in the same ad group or in separate groups.

As far as QS goes, the QS you see in the AdWrods interface is based on the exact phrase entered. That means the QS for each match type will exxentially be the same until you accrue some history for those keywords. But, the QS is calculated for each query that might trigger your ad. In that case, the more restrictive match type will usually win out. The exact match keyword is usually worht more than the phrase or broad match terms. Google expects a higher bid on the exact match. If you split match types into separate ad groups, you could see the broad match term "stealing" from the exact match. If bidding higher on the exact match does not stop that, add the exact match as a negative to the BMM group. Same goes for the phrase mtch groups.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Great points by petebardoTop Contributor

I would love to hear his views on I think my answer was confusinng great answerpetebardoTop Contributor.
I have seen in the past some agencies put exact, broad and phrase in separate campaigns, whats ur thoughts on that?

Regards, Nik

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Friends,

Really, as Nic pointed out, there are many varying philosophies on this.

I am also of the group that for an initial campaign launch, I will use multiple match types on keywords and will vary on whether or not I use them in the same ad groups or separate. 

If they are in separate ad groups, you will need to employ the use of embedded negatives to make sure your impressions are where you want them to be etc. 

Basically, I use this technique to help me find other search queries that are of importance to the campaigns.  If you use only exact match, you'll never know what keywords you could be missing out on.

This method does require more work as you need to diligently run Search Query Reports and maintain your negative kw lists daily.

Pete covered QS quite nicely, I have nothing to add there.

Just my couple cents...

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Nik,

The main reason for separating match types by campaign would be budget control. That is, if exact match is more profitable than phrase or BMM (which it should be), you might want to allocate more budget to the exact match than the less restrictive match types. You can only do that with separate campaigns.

The main reason to separate match types by ad group would be to match ad copy and/or landing page to the keywords to boost performance. When words in the ad copy are also in the query, they also show up bold in the ad. This does boost response. So, if you have exact or phrase match keywords in an ad group, it is often wise to include those keywords in the ad copy. This is not always possible with BMM.

For my own situation, we get so little traffic that breaking out match types into separate ad groups makes little sense--and it would take too long to accumulate data for analysis and decision making. Every account is different is the best advice I can offer. Organize your campaign(s) in a way that makes sense to you and your business.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords