AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Avoid distortion of CTR when looking at ads on google

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

a) I have heard of a link, that allows me to see the ads in action without going through regular google interface and therefore distorting the average CTR. Of course i wouldnt ever click on my own ads, but the impression i am generating distorts the overall CTR.

b) If anyone in our team ever clicked on an ad of our clients, we will ourselves be tracked as visitors. therefore distorting data.
how can i exclude our IP from being counted? or is there any other way of avoiding distortions of this sort?

once again: thank you all for your time and input.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Avoid distortion of CTR when looking at ads on google

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello floshkit,

For first part, you can refer to Ad Preview Tool, where you can check the real time Google search results and see where exactly your ad is shown. http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704363/?hl=en&

For second part, Google does not disclose IP addresses of users because of privacy policies. If you have web server logs access, you can cross check the IP addresses of your team members.

If I talk with respect to Google Analytics here, you can create a filter to exclude the internal traffic so that when you review the total visits of your client's website, internal traffic of your organization is filtered out.

http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1034840

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Avoid distortion of CTR when looking at ads on google

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI floshkit

"a) I have heard of a link, that allows me to see the ads in action without going through regular google interface and therefore distorting the average CTR. Of course i wouldnt ever click on my own ads, but the impression i am generating distorts the overall CTR."

I believe that you are refering to the ad preview and diagnosis tool, this allows you to view your ads as they would appear to a regular searcher of Google and it wont affect your account statistics. For more info, please see below-

Ad preview and diagnosis tool

Find your ad

"b) If anyone in our team ever clicked on an ad of our clients, we will ourselves be tracked as visitors. therefore distorting data. how can i exclude our IP from being counted? or is there any other way of avoiding distortions of this sort?"

Please see the following article, it will give info and instructions on excluding IP addresses to avoid impressions and clicks occruing as a result of your own companies/employees actions (you will need to be running one of the listed campaign types to do this)-

Exclude IP addresses

I hope this helps you, good luck! :-)

Kind regards