AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Automating Conversion Optimizer Target CPA Bids

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using conversion optimizer for a campaign with several (100+) well defined ad groups.  The ad groups have varying conversion rates and conversion values. I'd like to set up automated rules (or an Adwords Script) to adjust the Target CPA bids at the ad group level based on various metrics.

Setting aside the particulars of the optimization, it seems like there's no way for me to adjust the Target CPA bids for the ad groups except to edit them manually one-by-one.  I've tried the following in the adwords interface:

• Edit > Change bids > Increase Target CPA by 10% (tool says: No changes will be made)
  • Automate > Change ad group default max. CPC (tool says: Nothing would change if your rule ran now)
  • Edit > Download / Upload spreadsheet (tool says: 0 Changes)
  • Adwords Scripts - but unfortunately, there's no script API to change Target CPA bids (only CPC bids)

As far as I can tell, there's no way to automate or bulk edit the Target CPA bids for multiple ad groups, and it would be very time consuming to experiment / find optimal Target CPA bids by hand for hundreds of ad groups within a campaign.

Am I missing something, or is this functionality just absent / broken? If so it seems like a huge oversight to not be able to automate or script Target CPA bid changes at the ad group level.

Thanks,

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Automating Conversion Optimizer Target CPA Bids

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Michael,

Definitely odd behavior here.

After tinkering around a bit, I was able to do the select all ad groups > Edit > Change Bids and have the preview show changes. I didn't make actual changes.

I did also initially get the same messages that you did. I tested both increases and decreases before it worked. I also clicked a link from the campaign settings tab - Bid Strategy "Change ad group bids". Not sure there is any logic to why it all of a sudden started working.

Not sure if this will help or not - also did you try using adwords editor at all?

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried the steps you outlined, including starting from the campaign settings "change ad group bids" link. I wasn't able to get any changes to preview, and I also tried switching between increase / decrease and the various bid types.

Are you using Target or Max CPA, and 1 per click or many per click? My bid settings are Target CPA and many per click.

I will try AdWords Editor, and so far it looks like it has the option to bulk edit CPA bids.

Bulk Editing will work, but ideally it should be possible to set automated rules or have access to a scripting API.

Thanks again,

Michael

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Michael,

Probably not what you want to hear but as far as I can tell there's no way to automate CPA bids at the moment, which I agree is a pity.  However, I would add that it's unlikely to be an "oversight", but rather simply a case of it being another entry in a very long list of "things to do".

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

Is it available now?

I would really like to know if automate CPA is available now.

Thanks,
Egan

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.