AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Automatic Placements

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not to happy about the automatic placements.  Seems odd that the sites get such high CTR's.  Seems like the owner of the website simply clicks the advertisments to make money.  In any case I don't want to have the automatic placements and instead only want the managed placements.

How to I stop the automatic placements and only keep the managed placements.

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Automatic Placements

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello wineguy101,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Did you actually look at the autamatic placements data? Are they relevant to your business or not?

How have you set up your campaign? What are the settings? 

Have you included keywords, placements, topics etc?

Let us know so that the Community can answer that specifically.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you have separate campaign for Google Display Network?

If yes you just have to pause all the keywords in this campaign, and stay with managed placements.

If not you have to

turn off display network in exisiting campaign, create another one and add there only sites you want your ad to be displayed

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@wineguy101

Ever since Google's upgrade to the contextual engine, we've had quite good results with automatic placements (better than search). As the other posters mentioned you could do managed placements. However, I recall some of the other TC's here mentioning that automatic placements tend to get lower CPC's.

Additionally, you can also remove certain categories of sites, e.g. parked domains.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Change placement settings to Specific (i.e. only the placements, topics, etc. that I select) vs. Broad.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Regarding the new information that i've got, As of Jan 2013, the way to turn off Automatic Placements is to turn off Display Campaign Optimizer in your Campaign Settings under the Advanced Settings > Automatic Campaign Optimization section. This prevents AdWords from Auto-Targetting your Ads based on keywords and other parameters.