AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Automatic Bidding

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys

I am new to Adwords, for the past month I have been setting my bids manually, but decided to try automatic. It did not work and I changed settings back to manual.  However, now my Clicks have dropped significantly.  Did I miss something?

Please Hep!!!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Automatic Bidding

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Marlien,

Thanks for your question! Pankaj1782 made a good suggestion about checking the settings within your campaign to ensure your bids aren't below first page bid estimates and that your budget is high enough. 

I would also recommend looking at your keywords tab over the last 30 days and toggle your graph to view impressions as well as clicks. To toggle your graph: on the keywords tab, click the small toggle graph button above your graph (it's next to the 'Columns' button) > select: compare to 'Impr'. This will show your clicks and impressions data on the graph. 

If there is a certain day or period of time that your impressions dropped, check your 'Change History' to see what changes were made around that time (i.e. was your budget changed, did you adjust bids, did you delete or edit any ads or keywords, did you adjust location targeting). Making changes to your AdWords account can affect performance (especially if you edited your bids or budget,changed your location targeting to target a smaller area or edited ad texts performing well in the campaign). 

When you make changes to your account, it takes the system time to re-assess and adjust. For example, if you adjust budget the system has to learn again when and at what pace it can display your ads or if you edit ad texts or keywords, their quality score needs to be re-assessed. In addtion to this, certain changes (such as decreasing your budget or opting out of the Display Network), will result in a drop in impressions which is normal behaviour resulting from the change. 

I hope this helps!

Rachel

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello marlien,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

There's a lot of difference between automatic bidding and manual bidding. Adwords provides you with automatic bidding so that you don't have to deal with much of the changes required to be performed. Adwords take care of them on their own depending upon what daily budget you have set.

Manual bidding requires optimization work from your side and is preferred if you have intermediate to advanced Adwords knowledge.

If your clicks have dropped, there could be many reasons behind it. Few could be:-

You might not be bidding enough.

Your daily budget is not enough to meet the daily clicks cost.

You are not using good keywords list to get the high traffic.

Look at the account from above perspectives and then identify the reason for low traffic. Feel free to re-post your questions and the Community will be glad to assist you.

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Has your amount of clicks dropped in comparison with when you were using automatic bidding, or when you were using manual bidding, or both?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Both actually. The automatic bidding amount was lower and when I returned to manual bidding it was lower too.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
And what about your amount of impressions, your ad positions and your cpc - did they also decrease?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Marlien,

Thanks for your question! Pankaj1782 made a good suggestion about checking the settings within your campaign to ensure your bids aren't below first page bid estimates and that your budget is high enough. 

I would also recommend looking at your keywords tab over the last 30 days and toggle your graph to view impressions as well as clicks. To toggle your graph: on the keywords tab, click the small toggle graph button above your graph (it's next to the 'Columns' button) > select: compare to 'Impr'. This will show your clicks and impressions data on the graph. 

If there is a certain day or period of time that your impressions dropped, check your 'Change History' to see what changes were made around that time (i.e. was your budget changed, did you adjust bids, did you delete or edit any ads or keywords, did you adjust location targeting). Making changes to your AdWords account can affect performance (especially if you edited your bids or budget,changed your location targeting to target a smaller area or edited ad texts performing well in the campaign). 

When you make changes to your account, it takes the system time to re-assess and adjust. For example, if you adjust budget the system has to learn again when and at what pace it can display your ads or if you edit ad texts or keywords, their quality score needs to be re-assessed. In addtion to this, certain changes (such as decreasing your budget or opting out of the Display Network), will result in a drop in impressions which is normal behaviour resulting from the change. 

I hope this helps!

Rachel