AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Automated rules to increase keyword bids - weird behavior

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have set up automated rules to increase keywords bids. For some ad groups ("medium priority"), I used a rule to increase the bids to first page; for some other groups ("high priority"), I used a rule to increase the bids to the top of page. The reason I have used rules is because I have lots of keywords and do not want to spend my time adjusting their exact performance one by one regularly.

I have set the rules to run "daily", and using data from "last 30 days". I have thought that this would give a sliding window of 30 days, over which the past performance would be evaluated, and bids increased if needed. I expected the when the rules first run, they will increase the bids on many keywords whose bid was not "right", and that has indeed happened.

I have then expected then on subsequent days, I will only see occasional slight upwards adjustments to the bids. But instead, on every new day, I get quite significant increases for a handful of keywords. When I say "quite significant", that is not an overstatement: It is not unusual to see a bid being increased to two times of its original price, sometimes even three times. I do not understand how moving a 30 day window by one day forward can influence the proposed bid so much.

With the rule, these bids (that appear unnecessarily high anyway) then stay within my campaign, because the rule never decreases the bids. I cannot realistically use a common "cap" (max bid) because the values would differ very much for each keyword.

Thanks for help

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey i love your Question , and i understand Perfectly how you feel . Yea i sense you have a very big account and that is why you had to set Rules for all .

Lets me start with the Reason why you might be seeing a high increase in keyword bids . Which might be very painful to you because you want to have a reduction in actual Cost Per Click (CPC).

1. The Market Industry and the broad keywords you are targeting are in a very competitive Auction .

2. Your Account is having a low quality score , which means your keyword quality or are less than 8/10 Perhaps .

Tips : Arrange your Ad group in themes and make sure you take a good look at your Quality . If you find it less than 8/10 either remove or move to a relevant Ad group . With this it will increase your Quality Score the default Quality score is 6/10 but i recommend making sure your keyword Quality score are more than 8/10 . It will help reduce Cost Per Click .

Make sure your Landing pages are relevant to the Ad Groups and Ads . It will help you to get a good return on Investment (ROI) and also help you to improve quality score .

Make sure your Landing pages have ingredients to convert , so you don't just waste funds . Hope this helps .  You can shed more light so i can assit your further . 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you for your answer. What you suggest appears reasonable and I will certainly try do that (big part of it is already taken care of). But, while the two are related, my issue really isn't about the fact that some keywords require high bid to get top page or first page positions. I can generally deal with that, that's nothing new. My problem is with the INSTABILITY, an unexpected, significant and unexplained increase in the proposed bid.

I have come with an explanation. When I specified to use data from "last 30 days", I interpreted so that Google would give some *average* new bid over that period that would, in general, place the ad at the desired position. If it were so, moving the 30-day window by one day could never change the bid that significantly. But, it might be that Google actually changes the bid so that the ad is placed at the desired position not "usually", but *always*. If this is so, then an unexpected fluctuation in the newly added day (which required much higher bid) would simply change the suggested bid to the new maximum.