AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Automated rules and CPA Bidding

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm running a B2B account, and we have target CPA bidding, which precludes ad scheduling and bid adjustments.  However, the few weekend conversions we get cost 4 times the weekday conversions, so I'd like to put a lid on that!

Has anyone had experience with dropping the CPA bids on weekends, or some such plan?  Any experience would be greately appreciated!

Phil

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Automated rules and CPA Bidding

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi PhilFMF,

Thanks for posting on our Community forum. You can certainly add an automated rule that can pause your ads from running on the weekends. 

You can find out more about seting up an automated rule on this link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en

There's also a good Community article that discusses a similar issue with automated rules and CPA bidding here: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/CPA-bidding-and-automated-rules/m-p/55564/...

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phil

You are running this campaign on search or Display?

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Abhishek,

I'm running these on search, and the only rules I could set up are to pause the offending adgroups late Friday night, and turn them on again early Monday morning.

I'd rather be able to change the CPA bid, but the rules don't seem to be set up for that.

Phil

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phil

What i understood from your reply is you want change the target CPA for the weekend instead of pausing the adgroups?
Please correct me if i misunderstood your reply.

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Abhishek

That is correct, I would like to change the target CPA for the weekends. It seems I can change cpc bids, but not cpa.

Phil

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Phil

One more question, could you please let me know what option you are seeing at keyword level in "Automate" tab.Are they have any option to change CPA bid or it have change cpc bid option. I don't have access to CPA campaign so, i am not getting the clear picture about this.

Abhishek

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Phil

Try this may be it can work for CPA bidding as well.

# Go to the keyword level and select the keyword for which you want to change the CPA bid.
# Click on Automate button and select "change max. cpc bids when" option.
# Select Automatic action to "Decrease Bid and enter the % amount that you want to decrease the bid( for e.g. 20% if you want to decrease the bid to $8 for current $10 bid).
# In requirement Go the performance and select impressions.
# Keep the condition to Impressions>=1(enter "1" in field).
# In Frequency select weekly, then Saturday in day of the week and 12AM in hour drop down menu using the data from "previous day".

# Name it as per your convenience.

Noe try preview results option. I have tried this for a campaign with CPC bidding. may it can work for CPA bidding campaign as well. Look at the snapshopt for refrence.

img2.JPG

Hope this helps!

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Abhishek,
I certainly saw the option of changing the CPC bids. Have you tried this with CPA bids? I wouldn't want to confuse the system . . .

Phil

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phil
I haven't tried this on CPA bids. I suggest that you just try making a rule and check the results once by pressing the preview result button. It will show you the changes that the system make if the rule executed.

My views!

Abhishek