AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Automated rules - Nothing would change if your rule ran now.

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello,

I'm trying to set automated rule to stop placements in Display network campaign.

My criteria are: CTR less than ....  and impressions over ....

Eventhough there are placements matching this exact setting, when I try to preview changes for this rule it says: Nothing would change if your rule ran now.

I have checked every single settings:

Apply to: All eligible placements in this campaign
Action: Pause placements
Requirements: As above
Frequency: every ... using data from the last 30 days(there is enough data for the last 30 days)

Alex

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš Kraus
September 2015

Re: Automated rules - Nothing would change if your rule ran now.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alex,

That seems a bit weird but the first thing that comes to mind is the date range for the placements you are referring to.

Those placements that 'match' your setting: are you looking at the data for them with the date range set to the last 30 days, as that is what your automated rule is doing. It is not looking at today's data and comparing it, it is looking at the last 30 days data and seeing if any placements match the criteria.

The other thing that comes to mind is what type of placements are you trying to pause? Automated placements can not be changed with a rule, only manual placements can be changed.

Hope this helps
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tomáš Kraus
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Alex,

The first thing to check is that you're using managed placements.  Automated Rules can't affect automatic placements.

If you are using managed placements, make absolutely sure you're looking at the same time period in the UI as you've specified in the rule (this is what I find to be the most common cause of confusion in my own scripts/rules).

If you're absolutely certain there should be eligible elements for action, try altering the rule so that it includes only one of your conditions at a time.  e.g. try it with just CTR, then try it with impressions.  If one or the other of these work, that'll give you a narrower field to check.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497856?hl=en

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Thanks a lot both of you Jon and Clynton,

I've tried before all of the things you said, but I totally forget about automatic placements cannot be changed.

Excellent! Problem solved.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Glad to be of help!