AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Automated rule question: data range for automated bid to position

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have automated rules set up which bid to top of page based on data from "same day".  Am I correct in thinking this will increase the bid as needed to bring the page rank to 3 or less based on the most current available data as to what that bid number is?    

I often log in and find alerts showing that numerous keywords don't show on the first page, even though the automated top page rule (as described above) just ran minutes before.  For example (I am going to use fictional keyword example but trying to show the fact that I use very specific key words):

12:49 -- automated rule raised bids for all keywords to top page cpc, max cpc $10

12:52 -- alert: keyword "+small +bird +shoes" is below first page bid.  Current max cpc for "+small +bird +shoes" is $2.37.  Current page rank is 8.

It seems like it can't be true that the price to bring the keyword "+small +bird +shoes" was $2.37 at 12:49, but the price went up so much in 3 minutes that $2.37 is now ranks me at 8 instead of 3.  I just can't see how these keywords are that competitive that in 3 minutes 5 different adwords customers in my narrow geographic area suddenly outbid me on "+small +bird +shoes".  My campaign is very focused in a small geographic location, the clicks are very expensive but the competition is not that numerous.  So maybe I am misunderstanding how to formulate my automated rule?

How can I ensure that my bids are raised as needed to achieve a top page bid most of the time? Obviously, I don't want to pay WAY more than my competition, I want to automate the rules so that I am just a bit ahead of them as needed to stay on the front page.  At a real auction, if a guy bids $5, then I can stay in the lead by bidding $6 immediately afterward.  I don't have to know what the same item has been going for at auction the last 30 days and then bid that average amount -- this would be a very obtuse approach to a real auction.  Isn't there an analogue for this "bid $1 more than the last guy" auction strategy in the adwords automated bidding?  I assumed that this is accomplished by using a data range of "same day", but is that not the case?  There must be some flaw in my overall understanding of how this works and what is meant by the data range, but I am not sure where that flaw is.  I would appreciate your any thoughts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian C
September 2015

Re: Automated rule question: data range for automated bid to position

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Adrain,

I'll try and give you some advice based on what seems to work for me when working towards a desired average position.

Personally, I don't use the "increase bids to top of page CPC" rule as I like to have a bit more manual control over the CPC changes. I know its called automated rules, but they can get out of control if not looked after. As well as that, the figure is an "estimate" so you don't know if you've gone too high if you do use it.

I won't use data from the same day generally as you get an average position in your stats and I like to have a bit more data for it to work with. The more it has, the better it can work.

I will usually have 2 rules to try and get this done. One rule to raise the bids if they go to too low a position and another rule to drop the bids if it gets to high.

This is my raise bid rule on one campaign. I get it to run daily but using data from the last 7 days. I like it running at 1am so by the time the day has started it has made its changes as well. I also put a minimum impressions figure in as a safety net as I don't want to change things if they don't have the data.

raise bid auto rules.png

When I create a lower bid rule I'll use a smaller % (eg 4%) as I like to get into the position quicker and don't mind being a bit higher until the rule drops me back a bit.

In your example, you said your position was 8 after 3 minutes of the rule running. That will include the same days stats after it has made the change so your average position shouldn't be checked until at least the next day to see whats going on.

I've set up rules to target position 2.7 for example and after running the rules for 3-4 weeks across the campaign, the average positions are within 0.2 of the target for 90% of the keywords. For one client this was set up for 36 campaigns targeting different positions and most are between 0.2 - 0.5 of the target. I think they work well but you do need to give them time to do the adjustments.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this. I'm happy to help.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian C
September 2015

Re: Automated rule question: data range for automated bid to position

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Adrain,

I'll try and give you some advice based on what seems to work for me when working towards a desired average position.

Personally, I don't use the "increase bids to top of page CPC" rule as I like to have a bit more manual control over the CPC changes. I know its called automated rules, but they can get out of control if not looked after. As well as that, the figure is an "estimate" so you don't know if you've gone too high if you do use it.

I won't use data from the same day generally as you get an average position in your stats and I like to have a bit more data for it to work with. The more it has, the better it can work.

I will usually have 2 rules to try and get this done. One rule to raise the bids if they go to too low a position and another rule to drop the bids if it gets to high.

This is my raise bid rule on one campaign. I get it to run daily but using data from the last 7 days. I like it running at 1am so by the time the day has started it has made its changes as well. I also put a minimum impressions figure in as a safety net as I don't want to change things if they don't have the data.

raise bid auto rules.png

When I create a lower bid rule I'll use a smaller % (eg 4%) as I like to get into the position quicker and don't mind being a bit higher until the rule drops me back a bit.

In your example, you said your position was 8 after 3 minutes of the rule running. That will include the same days stats after it has made the change so your average position shouldn't be checked until at least the next day to see whats going on.

I've set up rules to target position 2.7 for example and after running the rules for 3-4 weeks across the campaign, the average positions are within 0.2 of the target for 90% of the keywords. For one client this was set up for 36 campaigns targeting different positions and most are between 0.2 - 0.5 of the target. I think they work well but you do need to give them time to do the adjustments.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this. I'm happy to help.