AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Automated rule bid changes based on position and First Page Bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone used automated rules to change bids based on position yet also account for First Page Bid and not going below? 

For example. I want all bids to increase/decrease to keep keywords positions between 2.5 and 3, However, if bid is below First Page Bid than do no decrease?

Re: Automated rule bid changes based on position and First Page Bid

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Kayla_W

I believe you'll probably want to move these bids daily or weekly based on relatively small increases or decreases. You'll want to try to figure out on average what the price of 2.5 to 3 is. I would set 2 conflicting rules to balance between position 2 and 3. If 3 or worse increase x% if 2 or better decrease x%. That should eventually get them to settle between those positions. As for "Below First Page Bid" you'll just need a third rule that says to increase the bid when it drops below the first page. At that point, it's probably simplest to overshoot 2 and let your balancing parameters determine lowering that over time. The degree/frequency to which you make these increases and decreases will ultimately be up to you and your account data. Also remember that different quality scores will impact how much more or less you will need to bid to achieve a particular position.

If the purpose to settle on 2.5 or 3 is due to lower cost, you may consider optimizations to increase quality score, or tighten focus of spend around terms with better quality scores. Small changes to account settings like radius adjustments/ad copy changes can go a long way in boosting quality score and lowering cost per clicks.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response Andrew. The rules are currently set to run daily, based on the previous day's data . It's also already set with 2 conflicting rules to balance between 2.5 and 3.

As for the 3rd rule to increase to First Page Bid, this would only be a temporary solution because the other two rules will continue to decrease the bids. Ideally, I don't want the first 2 rules to apply if the bid is below first page. I think the answer lies in a custom script rather than automated rules.

I've also come to the conclusion that the Below First Page Bid is not a valuable notification. If my average position is around 2/3 than clearly my bids are reaching the first page.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree that a script is better. I apologize as I misunderstood "Don't apply Rule 1 or Rule 2 if below first page bid" from above. I did see your other post on BFPB and provided a response there. I would argue it's a valid signal for those trying to maximize visibility.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

If you have room for testing you can try this script. A javascript developer can make modifications in it , if needed :

https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/solutions/bid-to-position

As I said in the other thread, if you segment by device you may notice that you have very few impressions for desktops at let's say avg. pos. 9 and many impressions on mobiles at avg. pos. 1 but on a reported average they give a value of 2.7. Your "below the first page bid" for desktops could be seen as "top of page bid" for mobiles.