AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Automated Rules (or me) acting strange

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So, I have this problem with automated rules.

Basically all I want to do is to use automated rule for pausing working day ads on Friday and enable weekend ads the same time. 

Righ now it is Thursday and when I'm clicking on preview, Google AdWords says that the working day ads would be paused if I used the automated rule now, even though the rule is set to be fired on Friday at 12 PM.

My question is - what's wrong with my Automated Rule? 

The visualisations

Thank's a lot, I hope that the situation is clear.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Irbe Zolnerovic
September 2015

Re: Automated Rules (or me) acting strange

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Irbe, I think the answer here is quite simple...

When you preview a rule, AdWords tells you what would happen if the rule ran now.  The "rule" in this case is simply to pause Ads with a certain label, so if it runs now they'll be paused.  The schedule for the rule is separate and not part of the preview.

This is intentionally how the preview works since it allows you to test what will actually happen at the scheduled run time.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Why don't you put the weekday ads in one ad group and the weekend ads in another and use scheduling.....?

Are you not complicating things more than they need to be?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hei, Stickleback,

If I had less than 20 campaigns with a lot of ad groups i definitely would do that. For now it just seems easier on daily basis to sort ads by labels and use automated rules.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Irbe,

Are you operating out of a different time zone that your account is set up with? The scenario you are describing occurs only when the account time zone and yours do not match.

Try going to your "Account Settings" by clicking on the gear icon on the right top corner of your interface screen and then checking for the Time Zone for your account.

If your time zone is in fact different from your's, you need to calculate the time difference and then set your automated rules accordingly. Judging by your situation, I am guessing, you are ahead of the account time zone. So in your case, you may have to set your rules to pause the ads or adgroups in question a few hours later which will be 12 PM according to the account time zone.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

I find this very interesting, but unfortunately this is not the case - the location and the time zone is the same.

Though, there is one more reason i could think of:

Maybe automated rules are run "historically". For example if I'm running the rule this Thursday but on weekly basis, then theoretically speaking the ads should've been paused.

Maybe what is missing there, is "negative component" - automated rule that enables ads on different time (in this case Sunday)

I'm going to try out this today

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Irbe,

I didn't actually understand you when you said "Maybe automated rules are run "historically". For example if I'm running the rule this Thursday but on weekly basis, then theoretically speaking the ads should've been paused.

Maybe what is missing there, is "negative component" - automated rule that enables ads on different time (in this case Sunday)"

There is no historic element to running rules or automating them apart from Rules that have already been executed successfully. Similarly, there is not 'negative component' to Rules as well.

Just to clarify, when I inquired about difference in time zone, I meant if the location you are accessing the account from is in a different time zone from the time zone the AdWords account has been set up with.

From the screenshot I can see that the account work on the time zone : (GMT + 2:00) Riga. Can you confirm if you belong to the same time zone and not any other time zone?

Other than the time zone element, I cannot think of any other reason why you are facing this issue.

Another very simple explanation here could be that there are already automated rules set up in your account that may have paused your ads. Can also check for the same?

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Good morning Shashank from (GMT +2:00)!

"negative component" was meant abstract, not literally - at the moment when i set up the automated rule, it was the first one. So, if it run this Friday then it wouldn't be enabled later (because I haven't made that rule yet) - so maybe the idea is that if it's a rule with frequency 1 time per week, then all the ads should be paused right now and nothing could run.

It sounds strange, but as all the other conditions are not applying to this situation, it's also the only one I can think of.

Yes, as I said - this is my time zone and no, there weren't any other automated rules.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Irbe Zolnerovic
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Irbe, I think the answer here is quite simple...

When you preview a rule, AdWords tells you what would happen if the rule ran now.  The "rule" in this case is simply to pause Ads with a certain label, so if it runs now they'll be paused.  The schedule for the rule is separate and not part of the preview.

This is intentionally how the preview works since it allows you to test what will actually happen at the scheduled run time.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I am with Jon on this one.

The answer is simple, and he has given you the crux of the matter. The preview tool is just a test on your rule to ensure that it would work as intended. The rule is obviously tested at this point as it can not test if it would work in the future...

That does not mean that setting the rule will make it run now, it will fire at your specified time. There is no issue with the way you have set it up.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks

it makes sense!

Smiley Happy)