AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Automated Rule Advice

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have just been dabbling with automated rule and just wondered if you had any advice? What are your experiences of it?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joel D
September 2015

Re: Automated Rule Advice

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 13
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes , they work for me with lowering bids in the morning and raising bids above the Top of page estimate for the top converting words with around 20-30 % .

The main thing that I wished about these rules would be a simulator for how they affect bids not at the moment of their creation but after 24-48 hours , at least in percentages or at least to see if 2 rules are duplicating on the same element ( keywords, ad group)

In the absence of such a simulator , you could monitor what they modified in the log.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

When creating them I found 2 problems : a) you cannot use them with repetition for example 12 times per day , b) you can only have 100 per account . If you need to set a condition that is always true use MaxCPC >0 .

These are some references regarding the usage of automated rules.:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497710?hl=en

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2012/04/17/adwords-automated-rules

And did you know that there are also the AdWords editor and AdWords scripts ?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Probably the best advice I could give would be to think really carefully about what your rules are going to do.... and think about how to set up a secondary rule to take things back to the starting point.

first - the rules - just like most things you do on the computer are really literal.... they don't try to work out what you meant, they just do exactly what you said... so if you say "on Thursday raise the daily budget by 50%" it will do just that. Then the next Thursday it will do the same thing again, and in a month you're spending a lot!

So you need to make sure that you control the conditions, not just for the initial adjustment, but the future implications of that adjustment and the future implications of the rule itself.

It's a little like navigating for someone in a car and approaching a roundabout - you tell them to go straight on - they would go around the roundabout - AdWords would drive straight across it - not quite what you expected.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Excellent point from Steve (stickleback),   the interface has no warning on the results of your automated rules over the budget, or how they interact with each-other. You can spike your budget any time. A nice feature would be to see if all rules run over 48 hours, what impact they have on a single keyword or ad group.

At least with scripts they ask you to "authorize" them before you get started ( step 4 from the link) so you are warned a little that there could be unwanted consequences to running a script.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am not looking to use automated rules on a wide scale.

I use them at keyword level in order to reduce CPC on keywords with a high average position but that are not performing. I also use them to increase budget on keywords that are performing well but would benefit from more investment.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
The rules run a weekly basis but I monitor them closely.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It's always nice to see someone preoccupied by something more advanced than the usual routine, your efforts are appreciated.

What type of advice are you looking for specifically ? Is there something that you wanted to achieve and you couldn't by using the automated rules ? We did the part about sharing the personal experiences Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I just wanted to know what results people achieved by using automated rules and if they were worth using.

I have read very mixed reviews about them.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Joel, I think the key to success with Automated Rules, as Steve has said, is that they need to be applied with thought and care.  I find them very powerful and use them on all of my client Accounts, along with various Scripts.  I primarily use AR for controlling Ad Position, as you are, and find them to be extremely effective.

I'd actually be interested in the negative comments you've seen as - apart from the scheduling limitations - I've seen few complaints personally.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
I think most of the complaints you might see - if you get down to the root - will be down to the way in which the rules were configured and not the way in which they work... the rule can (and will) only do what it is told to do.

So if you set up the rule incorrectly it wont do what you want it to do. Complain all you like - but don't blame the rule