AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Automate Reduced Bids over Holidays

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good Morning/Afternoon

I would like some advice on how we can best automate bid reductions over the holiday period while our business is closed.

We have campaigns split into 5 priority labels (1-5) 1 being our best performing campaigns, 5 being our worst.

Is there a way to automate either pausing labels 4 & 5 over a set period or reducing bids by say 60% for example.

We already have complicated scheduling setup for each individual campaign, so this option is not ideal as it means changing schedules for over 500 campaigns in this particular account.

So i am looking for a way to utilize the campaign labels to automate the status / bidding if possible. 

Kind Regards. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard H
September 2015

Re: Automate Reduced Bids over Holidays

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

You will need first to filter your campaign by label, and then select the keywords or ad groups you would like to apply the rule to. After that, it's time to set up the automated rule.

If you want to pause campaign on holiday:

1- Click the Automate drop-down menu,
2- Select "Pause Keywords When",
3- In the "requirement" section, remove any conditions.
4- In the "frequency" section, select "Weekly" and choose the day you would like to pause the campaign on.

If you want to decrease bids on holiday, you need to set up another rule;-

1- From the Automate drop-down menu, select "Change CPC when",
2- In the automatic action section, choose "decrease by",
3- In the requirement section, remove any conditions.
4- In the frequency section, select "Weekly" and choose the day you would like to pause the campaign on.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Richard, yes, there's a couple of options you could use, but how you go about it will depend upon how you're currently managing your bids and where your Labels are applied.

For example, you could build an Automated Rule to run on all Keywords with the Label "4" or "5" and set the action to be a reduction in Max. CPC of 60%, and a time of - say - 21st December.  Then another rule to run on the same Labels on the 5th Jan (or whenever) for an increase of 167%.

If rules don't cover exactly what you want to do then Scripts would certainly be able to manage the process for you and, using Scripts, you could apply other rules (such as examining performance and applying greater or lesser CPC changes based upon that).

If you can provide an example of exactly what you'd like to do, I'll try and fill in the blanks.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard H
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

You will need first to filter your campaign by label, and then select the keywords or ad groups you would like to apply the rule to. After that, it's time to set up the automated rule.

If you want to pause campaign on holiday:

1- Click the Automate drop-down menu,
2- Select "Pause Keywords When",
3- In the "requirement" section, remove any conditions.
4- In the "frequency" section, select "Weekly" and choose the day you would like to pause the campaign on.

If you want to decrease bids on holiday, you need to set up another rule;-

1- From the Automate drop-down menu, select "Change CPC when",
2- In the automatic action section, choose "decrease by",
3- In the requirement section, remove any conditions.
4- In the frequency section, select "Weekly" and choose the day you would like to pause the campaign on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ahmed,

Would this be possible with Shopping Campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Richard, you should be able to pause Shopping Campaigns, and alter the Max CPC of Ad Group bids but you can't automate individual products using Automated Rules.  You can get down to the product level with Scripts, but it's complex.

Jon

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Ahmed, I believe Richard would want to use the "One Time" setting for this, not "Weekly".

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jon,

Yes i would be using a "One time" setting to pause them before the holidays (24th), then setting another rule to enable them after the holidays (2nd) if ive understood correctly..

as for those where i reduce the keyword CPC over the same time period, lets say by 70%.. ..as all keyword bids are different, how do i make sure i increase the bid back to what it is now after the holidays?

ie,
Max.CPC = £0.80 (Reduce bid by 70% = £0.24 over holidays)
Max.CPC = £0.55 (Reduce bid by 70% = £0.17 over holidays)
Max.CPC = £0.70 (Reduce bid by 70% = £0.21 over holidays)

How do i make sure they all increase back to there correct amounts?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Richard,

As long as the bids aren't being changed during the holiday period by any other scripts, rules or AdWords optimisation (such as Target CPA), then to return them to their previous values you'd simply increase their bids by 333%, as follows:

Original CPC $0.80, reduce by 70% (reduce to 30%) becomes $0.24. 

Current CPC $0.24, increase by 333%, becomes $0.80.

If the CPCs are being managed by automated systems, you'll need to record their original values in an external spreadsheet (which could be done with a script), or use the AdWords editor to save their current bids to a file.  

Jon