AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Auto Tagging + Manual Tagging with URL Upgrade

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

TWIMC,

We have used auto-tagging for years now and have had no issues with it per se. The information embedded into the "gclid" parameter seems to send the same data as manually tagged utm_ parameters would when looking at Google Analytics reporting (utm_campaign, utm_source, utm_term etc.) but recently we have migrated to a new platform for hosting our landing pages and we have needed to include extra parameters in our final URLs.

To illustrate our need, let me provide this example:

We have a landing page that we have been sending traffic to:

https://go.example.com/mylandingpage.html

and with auto-tagging the URL a user would land on when clicking on an ad in AdWords would look like:

https://go.example.com/mylandingpage.html?gclid=asdfdsGKGgGHGHKOUIYIDWREWEtew

These landing pages have forms on them and as we have started to roll out ads in the UK, we have found that we need to capture the country in the form submission to distinguish where leads come from. We don't ask this in the form since we know this implicitly by the fact that it is a UK ad so the simple solution was to capture it via a query string parameter.

This seems simple enough. All we need to do is append country=United%20Kingdom to the ad URL like so:

https://go.example.com/mylandingpage.html?gclid=asdfdsGKGgGHGHKOUIYIDWREWEtew&country=United%20Kingdom

This seemed like the perfect job for Upgraded URLs. So for our UK campaigns, under the settings tab we changed the Campaign URL options (advanced) to use the following:

Tracking template: {lpurl}?country={_country}

Custom parameter: _country = United%20Kingdom

We clicked the Test button and several of our ads rendered correctly (at least they seemed to) and by clicking on a few we could see the they indeed went to our ad pages with the country=United%20Kingdom parameters included. Hooray!

But then a strange thing happened. Suddenly all of our ads started to get disapproved, and the reason we were given was that the "Ad Issue(s): Destination not working" for all of our ads in the UK campaigns. After some digging, it appears that we may not be able to use Upgraded URLs with Campaign URL options (advanced) along with auto-tagging?

Is this the case? Is there a way to use auto-tagging along with manual tagging for non _utm parameter data?

As you can imagine, we don't want to have to manually tag our URLs to get the utm_  data into Google Analytics but we need to be able to include other query string parameters for tracking in our other lead capture systems.  

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Auto Tagging + Manual Tagging with URL Upgrade

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Benjamin,

Q. we may not be able to use Upgraded URLs with Campaign URL options (advanced) along with auto-tagging?

Ans - We can use AutoTaging option with upgraded URL ( Means From Destination URL to Final URL / Mobile URL).

I will recommend to go through the below URL for Auto-tagging vs. manual tagging reporting

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1733663?hl=en#auto-tagging-vs-manual

Please let us know if you have any query on this.

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,
Anand

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Anand - I understand that we can use auto-tagging and Upgraded URLs. We want to keep the auto-tagging because it does give us richer data.

However, we need to be able to add our own parameters IN ADDITION, to the auto tagging. With Upgraded URLs we can use a a tracking template and custom URL parameters, but when we did this, all of our ads became disapproved.

We are going to test using an "&" on a single ad to see if this makes a difference. But if there are other methods, we'd love to hear about them, especially since I doubt using a "&" instead of a "?" will make a difference.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Benjamin,

A very easy fix would be to setup event/goal conversions via Universal Analytics so that when the form is submitted it fires an event or goes to a thank you page which triggers a goal.

Universal Analytics collects geo-location data so you could easily know what country the conversion came from. AND if you're using Auto-Tagging then it can also provide you with data on search query terms as well!

Although theoretically with AdWords Auto-tagging it should also include country data inside of it. Have you tried looking up in [ Dimensions-> View: Geographic ] ?

Additionally Ratan-Jha writes a great answer to your dilemma here: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/AdWords-Destination-URL-Upgrade...

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’