AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Auto Bidding does not set high enough Max CPC to get 1st page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry if this has beena sked before but my auto bids are setting a Mx CPC that is way too low for 1st or top of page.  I can set bids to manual but then I have to constantly monitor and tweak across several ads.

Is possible to set auto bidding with a manual max to gain 1st page?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Auto Bidding does not set high enough Max CPC to get 1st page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello TR6_87,

Welcome to the community.

Have you set a CPC bid limit for your campaign? If not then it might be worth trying it:

1. Click on your Settings tab and scroll down to the Bidding and budget section.
  2. Click Edit next to your Bidding option and then look at Focus on clicks.
  3. You will see a check box next to CPC bid limit, check this and then enter the maximum you would be willing to spend on a click.

Auto Bids AdWords.png

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

As the automatic bidding tool has " the goal of getting you the most clicks possible within that budget" and bids at lower positions usually are cheaper, it´s logic that automatic bidding will not result in as many high ranking ads.

Putting a max cpc will probably result in even fewer high ranking ads.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Not an expert here by any means, but I tried automatic bidding for a time, and I got the feeling that my ad was appearing at the top at least some of the time (I used the preview tool to confirm this). However, its average position indicated that it was also showing much further down most of the time.

I think that those top of page estimates aren't the amount you need to bid to be on top all of the time. They are estimates for you to be shown at the top at least some of the time.

Edited to add that when I switched to manual bidding and increased my bids considerably above the top of page estimates, I was eventually able to achieve consistently higher positions and lower CPC than when I had automatic bidding.

Just my take on things...

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I think that those top of page estimates aren't the amount you need to bid to be on top all of the time. They are estimates for you to be shown at the top at least some of the time.

Certainly, they are also based on averages

Edited to add that when I switched to manual bidding and increased my bids considerably above the top of page estimates, I was eventually able to achieve consistently higher positions and lower CPC than when I had automatic bidding.

But you probably got fewer clicks for your bucks?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

But you probably got fewer clicks for your bucks?

Yes, also but more conversions. When I'm in the top slot, my site extensions show up, and that helps me direct potential customers to exactly what they are looking for.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, also but more conversions

That´s why I don´t use automatic bidding Smiley Wink

Next step: try conversion optimizer