AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Are the organic audience includes in the remarketing list of adwords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are the organic, referral or direct audience includes in the remarketing list of adwords?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Are the organic audience includes in the remarketing list of adwor

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Once you tag your website, any user that visits it can be added to your remarketing lists nomatter where they came from (organic search, referral, direct)

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Once you tag your website, any user that visits it can be added to your remarketing lists nomatter where they came from (organic search, referral, direct)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Intesab H,

That depends a bit on how you setup the remarketing. You can set it to add only AdWords source if that's what you want, or you can set it to all visitors or only certain referrers if you use GA remarketing options for tagging your page(s).

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't think so.If you create Re-marketing list using GA ,you can include your organic users.But if you are using adwords to create remarketing only the adwords visitors are counted.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

I'm a product manager for AdWords remarketing and I'm sure that both AdWords and Google Analytics remarketing include users regardless of their source (organic, direct, adwords, etc...)

However if you really want to segment by traffic source, you can do that both with the AdWords remarketing tag or the Google Analytics tag. For the AdWords remarketing tag simply build a rule-based list using the Referrer URL:

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 8.46.21 AM.png

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Thanks for your addition, Maxim. That's what I was talking about. To get the same list, AdWords source only, using the AW conversion code, I had to modify the script a bit. First, I test for the presence of a gclid in the query string. If it's found, I fire the conversion code. By default, the AW conversion code adds everyone who visits a page regardless of source.

Pete

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Hey Pete,

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish. Are you using the conversion tracking code to generate a remarketing list? It's rare for a conversion tracking code to be on a landing page where the gclid is passed. In general the conversion code only fire after going through a conversion funnel (purchase, lead form submission, etc...)

In general I don't recommend conditionally firing the tag as it has other consequences, for example you'd miss on x-device conversion counting.

- Maxime

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Just Excellent

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Maxime,

I set this up quite a while back, before Analytics re-marketing lists were available. I actually do a couple tests before firing the tag. First I test for gclid to make a re-marketing list for AdWords clicks only. Then I test for google.com as referrer to make a re-marketing list for Google organic search source. These are remarketing lists only, not conversions. Looks like I did not make that clear. There is a separate page to record conversions. It fires on every visit to the page. I really haven't dug into the x-device tracking yet.

It all works now as expected for creating re-marketing lists. I have a different problem with recording conversions, but I won't go into that here. It's a whole different topic.

Thanks,

Pete

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee
ok, if you were talking about the remarketing, not the conversion tracking tag you can disregard what I said about x-device conversions.
I still think it's simpler to fire the tag on every page and use a rule-based list with URL referer rather than conditionally trigger the tag.