AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Are my keywords competing even if my location targets are different?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone, 

I have heard constantly that keywords should not be repeated anywhere in your account, but needed something cleared up. I am running ads for a political campaign, and have two search campaigns running. One is national, and the other in targeted to the specific state of the election. 

If I'm excluding the election state from my national campaign, and running the same keywords, are they still competing? 

I didn't see how they could be as if someone, for example, in the specifc state searched for one of the keyword terms, he would trigger the ads from the state but would be excluded from the other campaign altogether -- so would the national campaign keywords even run in the auction?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Are my keywords competing even if my location targets are differen

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Lindsey L,

You're doing it right.

Keywords don't really compete within an account, but you can look at that way. In this case, there are different geo-targets, so there is no conflict at all.

When you have 2 of the same keywords in more than one ad group, campaign, or account, it can be difficult to predict which of the keywords will get the impression. What happens in this case, the eligible keywords from your account go into a mini-auction within the account. The keyword with the highest ad rank enters the general auction and the whole thing starts again. In this case, it' s best to have any one keyword in only one ad group--the one where it will get the best response.

Sometimes our advice is oversimplified! Thanks for the great question.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, they shouldn't be competing as long as you have your national campaign set up correctly to exclude searches in, and searching for the excluded state. As long as the targeting doesn't overlap I think you should be fine.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Lindsey L,

You're doing it right.

Keywords don't really compete within an account, but you can look at that way. In this case, there are different geo-targets, so there is no conflict at all.

When you have 2 of the same keywords in more than one ad group, campaign, or account, it can be difficult to predict which of the keywords will get the impression. What happens in this case, the eligible keywords from your account go into a mini-auction within the account. The keyword with the highest ad rank enters the general auction and the whole thing starts again. In this case, it' s best to have any one keyword in only one ad group--the one where it will get the best response.

Sometimes our advice is oversimplified! Thanks for the great question.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, they shouldn't be competing as long as you have your national campaign set up correctly to exclude searches in, and searching for the excluded state. As long as the targeting doesn't overlap I think you should be fine.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have only one addition to this topic which was already solved. There is an explanation in this document about how the smaller geo location campaign is selected when another campaign has a larger targeting that includes it , so you are ok with the setup even if you do not set the exclusion , in my opinion :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en