AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Are existing users using Adwords to navigate to my site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a theory that a certain % of my adwords spend is taken up by folks who sign up and then, after signing up and registering as a conversion, continue to visit my site by navigating to it through the Adwords ad.

I understand that I could set up an audience equal to all site visitors who have converted on my site and exclude them from my ads.

Before I do that, I'd like to simply figure out whether this theory is even true and what % of my ad spend is going to folks who have already converted.  Can anyone think of a way that I could see this data?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Are existing users using Adwords to navigate to my site?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Nick H 

Analytics can show you the percentage of new visitors produced from Adwords over whatever time frame you want to consider. This number should be a good indicator if this is something to really be concerned with.

I don't think you can exclude that audience from search that easily.  I think you need to setup a remarketing list for search ads, and try to accomplish it that way. You can exclude people who have converted from it.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi there;
This can be done.
But, you need to learn how to install this feature;
Start here:
Exclude specific audiences from an ad group
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549058?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Nick H further to the replies you've already received, you should also think about whether it's actually a good idea to prevent these clicks.

The decision will mostly depend upon the sort of business you're running and whether repeat visitors are important to you.  If they're not, if you really don't need them to come to the site any more once they've converted, then yes, you should probably try to stop these later clicks.  However, if they're of any use at all you need to measure their ongoing value and think about the impact of possibly giving them no easy way back to you post-conversion.  I would argue that if they're clicking your Ads post conversion, then at the very least your customers think there's some value in returning to the site...

Clicks like this are not uncommon and there can be good reasons to block them, but I've also seen cases where doing so would be a bad idea.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits