AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

App / digital content add in Editor?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Is it just me or can you not view or edit App / digital content ads in Editor?

Also, any advice on how to do this most efficiently?

Last year we had app download ads running for a client and it worked fairly well because we could target certain devices and versions. It is a seasonal thing, so we haven't had the ads running since before Enhanced Campaigns.

Now that everything is now on Enhanced, I noticed that even though our ads were app download ads, they are now all considered normal "Text ads," not "App / digital content ads."

Here is my problem, I don't see any way to convert these ads back to app adds. I don't even see any options in Editor to even create "app / digital content ads." With Editor, changing the ads would be pretty quick.

I need to convert 716 text ads to "app / digital content ads." Many of these are similar, but for different campaigns/ad groups. If I can't use Editor to do this, then I would have to manually go onto adwords.com to basically copy/paste all 716.

Please tell me there is a better way. Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: App / digital content add in Editor?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Unfortunately, you can't view or edit them in Editor at this time.

I'd expect this feature to be added over time though.

The only other way to solve your problem would be to use AdWords scripts (JavaScript knowledge is pretty much required here though)

https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Joe

Its unfortunate that this has been ceased.
Even I faced the same issue.
However parallel to promoting my app using Adwords, I used to promote my App using Admob. This is also a solution offered by Google.

You may want to check it out.
Admob has been more effective to me than the campaign that I used to run using Adwords.
http://www.google.co.in/ads/admob/

Ellaiah.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
So, in this case, is the consensus that copy/paste inside of AdWords.com is the way to go? Ugh. If no one hears from me on the forum for the next several days, you'll know what I'm up to....

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Yes, either that or learn to use AdWords scripiting I'm afraid. Sorry I don't have any better solution.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Well, I did it. There ended up being about 674 ads to convert. I talked to a colleague and we used AutoHotkey and scripted the bulk of manual work. It worked pretty well. I've wanted to learn how to use AutoHotkey for a while now, so it was a good excuse to learn.

Just in case any other poor person needs to do this in the future, here is what I did.

1. Download all the ads from the ads tab as an Excel doc.
  2. Delete all information except what was necessary (Campaign, Ad Group, Headline, D1, D2, App name)
  3. Create a script in AutoHotkey to do the following for each ad group
    1. Create a new ad (using mouse pointer commands)
    2. Copy the information from Excel.
    3. Paste information in the browser (mostly using keys like {tab} 42 times to get to the inputs)
    4. Loop for 2 or 3 times, depending on the number of ads in the ad group.
  4. Run this script for each ad group
  5. Go though and do any clean up necessary, i.e. pause old ads, QA copy/paste job, etc.

This still took me several hours, but it was significantly faster than just copy/pasting. I would recommend AutoHotkey for anyone that needs to do a long, manual, process. I still need to do step 5 though, but the worst is behind me and I can actually do something with my labor day weekend!