AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Any way to exclude Sudan from campaign targeting?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I search for Sudan only some city in Texas, USA is being displayed.

How can I exclude Sudan, the country, from my campaign?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author fahrenheit2539
September 2015

Re: Any way to exclude Sudan from campaign targeting?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello fahrenheit2539,

Welcome to the community.

That's unusual as I can't target Sudan for exclusion / inclusion either. As a temporay fix I would recommend going into the advanced settings, locating Sudan on the map and then create a radius of 500 miles around it like this:

AdWords Sudan.png

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author fahrenheit2539
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello fahrenheit2539,

Welcome to the community.

That's unusual as I can't target Sudan for exclusion / inclusion either. As a temporay fix I would recommend going into the advanced settings, locating Sudan on the map and then create a radius of 500 miles around it like this:

AdWords Sudan.png

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Scott, will do it this way. Do you know any efficient way to get it escalated to the dev team for a proper fix?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I will look into this for you, it's not just on your interface so I will see if there is a reason behind it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Also it seems like I rushed a bit to accept a solution - while I can target Sudan they way you proposed, I can't find a way to exclude it from targeting. Any ideas?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ah good point fahrenheit2539...

Your question won't be ignored anyway, let's wait for some more information.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello.

According to this policy http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1052605 one cannot submit ads that would violate government trade sanctions, and Sudan is on the list of parties that the US has sanctions against: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_embargoes#Targeted_parties

Therefore, since you cannot target by country (you can only do that by radius), I assume that if you target a larger area Sudan may be a part of (Africa as a whole, for instance), your ads will not show in Sudan.

But, as Scott says, let's wait for some more info.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As a follow-up to Sudan issue - I have changed my campaign from 'exclude list of countries' to 'include list of countries'. As a bonus I was able to adjust bids for individual countries.

However today I have received successful goal completion from North Korea (which obviously not in my list of countries included due to ban).

After investigating further I found out that there were totally 3 clicks from North Korea during April.

The most interesting thing is that these clicks were generated by my North American Adwords campaign (which has only USA and Canada included).

It is not a big issue as I believe such clicks are being refunded later, just a bit of interesting information

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Thanks for updating us with your situation!

The North Korean conversions may be occurring because of your location settings. If you really want to restrict it to the USA and Canada then I would recommend going into your settings and changing the Target option to People in my targeted location as this should eliminate "outsiders" from seeing your ad. 

Any way to exclude Sudan from campaign targeting?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The same problem with my account. I wasted lot of money on Sudan and Syria.