AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Any backup options for tracking template in case server is down?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let's assume that I setup a tracking template url for a campaign.
The ads afterwards should land on that tracking url which basically have the role of tracking
some utms and redirect the ad clicker to the final url.

Now, what happens if the tracking server is down? The clicker won't be redirected to the final url (aka landing page of the shop). Which means waste of money.

Does google have any feature in place to dp something about this issue? Or is it up to the tracking server to make sure it will always be online and working properly?
Will adwords actually check first if the tracking url is available , and if not, will replace the tracking url with the actual ad final url?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Geo L
December 2015

Re: Any backup options for tracking template in case server is down?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Geo L,

Welcome to Advertiser Community.

It's on us as advertisers to ensure that website or tracking server never goes down. If it is goes down, ad campaigns should manually be paused to avoid unnecessary expenses. 

Google does have a system in place which disapproves ads if the Final URL is not accessible. But it does not happen in real time and can sometimes take several hours. The reason can completely be understood as a tech savvy advertiser myself, and I am sure you being in the same line are with me here. 

Hence, advertisers need to make sure that the Final URLs are accessible properly. When Tracking Template was introduced, it was required to manually test the combination of final URL and tracking template for their accessibility. But, thanks to AdWords engineers, they introduced a 'test' button to check if the tracking template is translating into the right URL or not. That's definitely a big help in this regard. 

To your final question, there's no back up for URL. The ad URL will not redirect to Final URL if the sever goes down. And practically, it must be on the tracking server provider to ensure that they are never down. After all, it's the core challenge of their business and they must put something in place to combat it. 

My two cents. 

Happy Holidays!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Geo L
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Geo L,

Welcome to Advertiser Community.

It's on us as advertisers to ensure that website or tracking server never goes down. If it is goes down, ad campaigns should manually be paused to avoid unnecessary expenses. 

Google does have a system in place which disapproves ads if the Final URL is not accessible. But it does not happen in real time and can sometimes take several hours. The reason can completely be understood as a tech savvy advertiser myself, and I am sure you being in the same line are with me here. 

Hence, advertisers need to make sure that the Final URLs are accessible properly. When Tracking Template was introduced, it was required to manually test the combination of final URL and tracking template for their accessibility. But, thanks to AdWords engineers, they introduced a 'test' button to check if the tracking template is translating into the right URL or not. That's definitely a big help in this regard. 

To your final question, there's no back up for URL. The ad URL will not redirect to Final URL if the sever goes down. And practically, it must be on the tracking server provider to ensure that they are never down. After all, it's the core challenge of their business and they must put something in place to combat it. 

My two cents. 

Happy Holidays!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for clearing that up for me @Ratan Jha

Happy Holidays!