AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Analytics Remarketing Tag is not recognized by AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I connected AdWords and Analytics and I enabled Ad Reporting and Remarketing features in Analytics. Then, I created an audience in Analytics and it also shows up in AdWords but I get an error saying the Analytics Remarketing Tag wasn't found. I have really no idea why...I also implemented an AdWords Remarketing Tag and this is filling the default "all visitors" list just fine.

I might have to add, that we're using the Google Tag Manager and so I do not have the UA snippet on my page but instead the GTM snippet.

I followed all advice in this topic but the error still persists: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Advanced-Features/We-haven-t-detected-the-GA-Remarketing-f...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tom,

In order to use Google Analytics for remarketing, you have to make some changes to the analytics code that is triggered across the whole site. On top of that if you are using GTM, you should alter the analytics code and make the changes under more settings to enable Display Advertising Features. That will actually enable the remarketing tag and then you shouldn't be facing these issues.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Somehow the list started gathering people two days after I activated the Remarketing features without me doing anything else. No idea why...

However, I activated the Display Advertising Feature for the general page view tag in GTM afterwards.

What should be changed with the Analytics code though? All tutorials on the internet say you only need to activate the Remarketing feature and link AdWords and Analytics accounts....

One additional question: Right now I have two remarketing lists, one from Analytics and one being filled by the AdWords Remarketing Tag I implemented on our website. The user count for YouTube and display network are approximately the same but the counter for "Search" is almost twice as high for the Remarketing Tag compared to the Analytics list even though it's just filling up with "All Users"...Why is that?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Typically either you use AdWords remarketing tag or Analytics to leverage Remarketing. Using both will end up showing discrepancies as you mentioned.

The code changes that I talked about are actually the settings that you enable for display advertising and the analytics code is automatically changed. However, if you are using GTM, you simple enable the settings from that interface to enable display advertising features.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

But I noticed a big benefit of using both AdWords and Analytics: You can create remarketing lists in Analytics on a per-property level and you can implement the remarketing Tag on ANY website you manage to build one HUGE list for remarketing.