AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords editor spell checker error with french accents

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello 

Folowwing the instroductions from Google (from https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/94248?hl=en) , I downloaded a French dictionary from http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/search?f[0]=field_project_tags%3A157.

But for some reason, the spell checker does not recognize the character encoding of the dictionary.

See the attached example of a word that is correctly written but, because the Editor does not recognize the accent, it shows the correct word as misspelled.

image.png

I have tried opening the dictionary files in Notepad and trying to change the encoding to UTF-8 (which I'm guessing is the Google standard) but the problem continues. It might be that I did not change the encoding at all with what I did on Notepad) .

Has anyone else found , or better, SOLVED this problem?

Cheers

J

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jorge V
May 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

It's a bug in Editor. It reads .aff file looking for "SET <encoding>" directive, but (for reasons not quite clear yet) stops looking when it encounters a blank line; and then defaults to ISO-8859-1 encoding. The dictionary is properly encoded in UTF-8; it's Editor that fails to use the appropriate encoding.

We'll fix that in the upcoming release. Meanwhile, as a workaround, edit the .aff file and remove all blank lines that precede "SET UTF-8" directive, including those that are between comment lines (those starting with pound # sign).

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jorge V
May 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

It's a bug in Editor. It reads .aff file looking for "SET <encoding>" directive, but (for reasons not quite clear yet) stops looking when it encounters a blank line; and then defaults to ISO-8859-1 encoding. The dictionary is properly encoded in UTF-8; it's Editor that fails to use the appropriate encoding.

We'll fix that in the upcoming release. Meanwhile, as a workaround, edit the .aff file and remove all blank lines that precede "SET UTF-8" directive, including those that are between comment lines (those starting with pound # sign).

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Igor: it worked!

Thank you very much!