AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords editor product group changes "Invalid. Unable to post" error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Im making changes to lots of product groups, over 100 and only 2 are getting posted and the rest fail with message "Invalid. Edit to post". I then change all the errors back to "biddable", then change back to "excluded", post this and again only 2 get posted the rest fail with the same message. I have to keep doing this and only 2 get posted every time! not helping me in any way!!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bobby B
September 2015

Re: Adwords editor product group changes "Invalid. Unable to post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
It's a bug. Thanks for reporting. Will fix for the next release.

Meanwhile, your best bet is to make this change using Editor 10.6 - it is not affected by this bug. You can have Editor 10.6 and 11.0 installed side by side on the same machine (remember to sync changes in one after you post them with the other).

The scenario that triggers the problem is this: switching product groups between Biddable and Excluded (in either direction) in more than two ad groups. The actual number of changes doesn't matter, only the number of ad groups touched. Obviously, one change per ad group is the worst case.

For certain technical reasons, the server limits the number of ad groups touched by this kind of operations. Editor should be automatically chopping up the list of changes into smaller requests to stay within this limit. Editor 10.6 does that, but this logic somehow didn't make it into Editor 11.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, That's exactly what I did to get around this.

Thanks for the clarification.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi!

I just encountered the same error in AdWords Editor 11.4.3 and stumbled upon this post, would that still be the same bug you mentioned? I don't have an older version of Editor on my computer (as far as I know) so I can't check if this solution works for me. I'm on Windows 7 by the way. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Regards, Mick

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
This particular problem - failure to post certain changes to product groups spread across more than two ad groups - has been fixed a long long time ago. Whatever problem you are having is a different one.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, thanks for you reply! Somehow batch renaming them by adding a word at the end en then removing it made it work so I'm happy for now. Hope it doesn't come back!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As with Mick, regardless of what the bug is, I still have exactly the same symptoms in version 11.7.0. It is very annoying, as with Mick I have to edit the ad in any fashion (add a letter to a line), move away from the ad, come back to it, remove the change and it's fine.

Not optimal when dealing with hundreds of ads.

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

What exactly are you trying to do, and in what way is it failing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry it was another issue, I stand corrected, same symptoms though.

I took over a new account, reenabled some of their old non-extended ads in the web portal, this worked...

Tried to copy them from AWE to other regional campaigns, but was failing. No error message.

Realized afterwards that because they are new ads, it was forcing me to create extended ones, not accepting the old format.

Still room for more useful error messages though. 

Thanks for you time.