AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords advert showing for everywhere ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello
I have a problem my Adwords advert is showing for towns & cities that I don't want it to ?
On Friday i added funds to re start my campaign , I spoke to an advisor who I told my advert was showing for areas 8 miles from where I deliver & wanted to reduce the targeted location to stop funds being used on outside of my new 6 mile targeted radius , the advisor talked me through changed everything and I believed the issue was sorted ?
I was wrong , I typed in bouncy castle hire Marlborough which is at least 60 miles from where I operate and my advert showed ? I contacted a google advisor who then talked me through advanced audience targeting / radius ? The listing was amended to show to persons only searching within a 6 mile radius would find my business, I again believed everything was now sorted as the advisor told me she had refreshed the page & everything was now fine ?
I couldn't believe my eyes as I typed search terms bouncy castle hire into various towns & cities across the uK and my listing showed ! So because it was gone 6pm on Friday the phone lines were finished and I've sat here the whole weekend taking and storing pictures of the places I am showing for that I don't want too, I'm really annoyed as I only a small business and struggling & I cannot afford for people to click my link because google can't get it right ?
I was advised to pause my advert which makes sense but I'm on an I Pad and for some reason I can't ? , I get onto the pause bit and touch/ click but it said select rows first ,there are tick boxes but again they won't tick ?
I would like google to refund me any funds used over this time span since Friday as my trust is in them and their advisors

Angry ( just a bit )

Marc
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marc T
September 2015

Re: Adwords advert showing for everywhere ?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

I believe that what we are trying to explain is that you are seeing your own ads when you search because you are inside your campaign radius.  That is, you are physically located inside the area you are targeting.

If you are using keyword matching that allows your keywords to be "expanded" to include other words, that's how your keyword bouncy castle can trigger an ad for bouncy castle Marlborough), such as Phrase, Modified Broad, or Broad match, then you'll need to add negative keywords to prevent including keywords you don't want to be matched to.

You may not be the only person inside your geographic area who is searching for something in a different city--if you don't want searches targeted to Marlborough or other cities to trigger your ads, try adding those city names as negative keywords.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello; 

Well...Geo targeting is not perfect (especially in Europe) and 6 miles could be within the "margin of error" of  the Geo-target region.

What I would suggest is that you will set your advanced targeting  option to the second option "People in my targeted location".  That should exclude users OUTSIDE your targeted area, searching about a service in your area.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

For iPads try downloading the Puffin browser which supports Flash as explained here :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/Since-upgrading-to-iOS7-iPad-browser-crashe...

http://www.puffinbrowser.com/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the replies so far

Perhaps I should of explained that me & computers etc don't get on to we'll , I'm not very good with anything computer related , I try but struggle, the option explained about people in my targeted location was the chosen option 2 nd option , I've been back and checked this twice , so still lost ?

Marc

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think there is a confusion here . You said 

"I typed in bouncy castle hire Marlborough which is at least 60 miles from where I operate and my advert showed ?"

Also you say 

"I couldn't believe my eyes as I typed search terms bouncy castle hire into various towns & cities across the uK and my listing showed "

Yet you as you type all those Cities you are located in 1 place, not in all those cities, so the fact that the Ad shows to yourself as you are in 1 location is not a problem. The system knows your aproximate location from your internet provider and it means you are now in the Area designated by your Ad's radius.

To clear this confusion use the Ad Preview Tool from AdWords to check IF your Ad shows for real in other Cities. Learn more from here , read at "Option 1" : link

It says also 

Tip

If you've targeted your ad to a certain language, location, or device, be sure to specify this information when using the tool. For example, if you've targeted your ad to only appear to customers in Los Angeles, you'll need to enter Los Angeles in the "Location" box."

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello
Yes when I typed bouncy castle hire Marlborough I was trying to find another supplier of equipment for that area , this is when I contacted a google advisor for the second time on Friday and the listing was adjusted to the second position in advanced targeting to customers searching only within a 6 mile radius of my business
On Saturday I started more search tern
Ms for different towns as I have today and this is when I'm
Noted I'm showing for nearly everywhere in the U k and not the 6 mile only radius that I require ?

I also had some check on their mobile phone just to make sure I wasn't dreaming it ? They agreed and showed me the same ?

So as said I took picture shots of all the places I searched for at different points of the UK from Cornwall to Scotland, east Anglian to Wales, Kent to Liverpool ?

Sorry but I just don't understand, if Google wants to display me outside of my 6 mile targeted radius free of charge then I'm fine with that but not at my expense when I have asked not to ?

Sorry but I really struggle with this kind of stuff, I shall be straight on the phone tomorrow morning to google

Marc
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marc T
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

I believe that what we are trying to explain is that you are seeing your own ads when you search because you are inside your campaign radius.  That is, you are physically located inside the area you are targeting.

If you are using keyword matching that allows your keywords to be "expanded" to include other words, that's how your keyword bouncy castle can trigger an ad for bouncy castle Marlborough), such as Phrase, Modified Broad, or Broad match, then you'll need to add negative keywords to prevent including keywords you don't want to be matched to.

You may not be the only person inside your geographic area who is searching for something in a different city--if you don't want searches targeted to Marlborough or other cities to trigger your ads, try adding those city names as negative keywords.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theresa
Thank you for replying, I'm struggling to understand how everything works, but I get the bit about negative keywords in this case it would be Marlborough ? Or whichever towns or cities I do not want enquiries from ?
I presumed the google Adwords advisors understood this when I called the 1st time explaining I had seen my listing for 8 miles from Luton ( which I choose ) in the first place and explained I do not deliver equipment over a 6 mile radius from Luton, Bedfordshire UK we both spoke and I was talked through the procedure to reduce to 6 miles, as said I only realised I was showing for all other towns & cities outside of 6 miles due to searching for another supplier
As said I contacted google advisors again then the option of advanced section 2 only customers searching within the 6 mile radius was set & saved and I was told everything would now be correct, I know have 2 independent people who have checked on different devices and my business is still showing for everywhere ?
I appreciate your help/reply but I thought the Adwords advisors would have advised me different ? I explained to them I'm very new to Google Adwords also surely I will have to have thousands of negative town , cities and villages after the search terms ?

Confused
Marc

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Marc,

Use the Ad Preview Tool to see if your ads are showing. If you are located within your targeted area, you will always see your ad, no matter what the query is. But, if you use the Ad Preview tool, you can set your location to outside of your 6 mile radius and then see if your ad still shows.

Also, in your campaign settings, be sure you have selected "only people within the area".

In UK, targeting is not as good as it could be, so you will get impressions from outside of the 6 mile area, but it seems to me those should report as within your area. If Google can't tell they are outside your target area when the show the ad, they most likely can't tell when they report the impression either.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni

Good afternoon.

There is good information in the Help Center about adding negative keywords to your campaign.

There are limitations to the support that Google can offer via email/phone. Although Google works hard at training their customer service reps, there are still gaps in their knowledge. As Pete said (above), geo-targeting in the UK is not as precise as it is in some other countries.

In addition, from the numbers you quote, it sounds as though your market is a very small one. Both of these can combine to cause the software problems--it wants to serve your ads but might be having difficulty due to the low/nonexistent number of searches and its inability to determine what searches you actually want your ads triggered for. Adding as negative keywords the names of the cities you do not want to see in search queries will help define your potential audience.

Make sense?

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*