AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Tracking URL's for Shopping Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Question about using URL tracking templates with Shopping campaigns. I have a client who was hoping to populate custom parameters for each of his product groups, and then pass the values through his Shopping campaign destination URL's using a tracking template similar to this:

{lpurl}?stmodel={_stmodel}&stcategory={_stcategory}&sttype={_sttype}

However, it appears that these templates won't work with Shopping ads. Is that correct? Is anyone aware of an alternative way to get this done?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Re: Adwords Tracking URL's for Shopping Campaigns

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jared,

Could you construct the URLs in your data feed and then submit that to Google Shopping in your Merchant Center Feed?  For example, in most technology providers that help you manage feeds you either add tracking URL strings to the end of a URL, or logically construct new URLs using different parameters in your feed, such as model, category, etc.

Re: Adwords Tracking URL's for Shopping Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Brian,
Thanks for the reply! That's something that we've considered as well, though for some reason the client was having difficulties adding this to the feed URL's.

However, I've actually verified today that even though Adwords doesn't appear to consider PLA's eligible to use with the tracking templates, it DOES actually append the tracking information to the end of the destination URL in practice. So it turns out we don't have a problem here after all.

Thanks again!