AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Remarketing tag error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Adwords is telling me : "We haven't detected the Google Analytics remarketing functionality on your website"

Even though we have enabled Display Advertising Features through tag manager, and we can see an audience in Adwords.

Is this a false negative due to Tag Manager rather than standard implementation?

I have the exact issue in 2 different accounts we manage.

Thanks

Sean

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean C
September 2015

Re: Adwords Remarketing tag error

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Yes . it's because you are implementing the GA code through Google Tag Manager. It's just Google looking for one kind of code - the simple implementation - and not the other - through GTM - which - as it happens, is the one they recommend.... ;-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Steve, a small note somewhere in the Help section would have saved me 2 hours! Smiley Happy

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
No, GTM makes no difference, it's the exact same tag that fires and sends the exact same data, AdWords is agnostic of how the tag is fired, all it cares about is what data it's receiving.

If you're seeing an audience populating in AdWords but the tag status indicating that the tag isn't detected it's most likely a bug in the reporting widget. Can you share what you website is?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi @Maxim T - in this case the remarketing list is being built in GA and then being imported back in to Adwords.

In my experience the code check in AdWords fails to spot this when implemented through GTM - my guess is that it is looking for a code pattern on the page which simply isn't there.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by stickleback (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Hey Steve,

The tag validation widget doesn't look at code on the page, it only looks at tag hits received by Google's servers but it has been unreliable lately for GA, I've reported it already.

- Maxime

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I really appreciate both of yours input, happy to share the Url if care to take a look:
http://www.bollards-international.com/

Regards
Sean

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
@Maxime T - Cool - thanks for that.

In any event I see GTM and the GA code on the page and since the audiences are building and can be used it is not something to worry too much about.

I must confess I have wondered about this - I've been seeing this behaviour for audiences being developed in GA when the code is implemented in GTM since I started using GTM over a year ago... it worried me at first... it doesn't anymore - other things keep me awake!