AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Editor "make multiple changes" duplicates rather than updates campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, this has been driving my crazy...

AE 11.7.0

I've been having issues in a specific account. When I use "make multiple changes" for ad groups, and include campaign names in the data, AE creates new campaigns (duplicates), rather than updating existing campaigns.

This happens no matter how small the change is.  If I copy ad group shells, paste into excel, just edit the max CPC, copy/paste back into AE using "Make Multiple Changes"  (or import via csv - tried that too), AE creates dup campaigns.

If I do the EXACT same procedures in other accounts- it works fine.

So, there is something unique about this specific account, that is preventing me from doing bulk updates to ad groups.

Any ideas?  This is an account I took over, and am going field by field to see where it might be different from my other accounts - but hoping someone might have a suggestion to help narrow my troubleshooting.

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Scott, I would suggest always download all the campaigns in the AdWords Campaigns. Or Get Recent changes.

If you still face the same problems. you remove the accounts from the editor and login the account again in the AdWords editor. It will fix your issue.

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/30582?hl=en

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott G
June

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rakesh-

I'd done a fresh download as part of my troubleshooting. That had not fixed the issue.

However, I did just figure out that it appears that you can't do a bulk upload to items that have been edited, but not yet posted.

If you do something like rename your campaigns, but don't post those new names: then try to do a bulk ad group "make multiple changes" action (even if you are using the new, correct campaign names), then AE will create duplicate campaigns, rather than an update. You need to first post the change- THEN do the bulk additions of ad groups.

It also appears to work OK for draft campaigns (even if no changes posted). 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you soooo much Scott!! I had the exact same problem, I was getting mad!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Scott,

To avoid the additional tedious step of posting first and then adding new elements to your campaigns, you can just click on the account name in campaign tree in the left pane. Once the account is selected, use the Make Multiple Changes option to upload your new structure or ad copies.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"