AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Editor Rendered Almost Useless Today Final URL

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Well I just beat my head against the wall for a couple hours today trying to figure out why Adwords would not upload any new ads.  I was able to create them in the web interface.  Then a couple hours later I couldn't copy any ads in the web interface.

Turns out, despite Google announce the upcoming deprecation of Destination URLs to be replaced by Final URLs, they apparently didn't get the Adwords Editor team fully onboard so they could release a new version of Adwords Editor in conjunction with deprecated the Dest. URL.  

So now Adwords Editor Ad management is essentially broken until they release a new version.  There's going to be a lot of frustrated Adwords Editor users scratching their heads.

Thank you Google! Smiley Sad

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Editor Rendered Almost Useless Today Final URL

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Which Editor version are you running? Editor 11.1, released May 14, happily supports upgraded URLs. What exactly do you want to do that you feel you are unable to achieve in Editor?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
As of 7/6/15 running 11.1.2, you get an invalid Dest. URL error. In addition, importing new ads into the Adwords Editor, the Dest. URL field is empty.

Would you like a screenshot of the error and a screenshot of my About page in my Adwords Editor? Build date is May 26 2015. Either I have a unique issue or you are out of the loop. The change at the server was made just hours ago. I suspect you are just not caught up with the issue.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Have you tried putting the URLs in the "Final URL" cell instead of destination URL? I think that should work. You can do that by going to the URL Options tab.

Hope this helps!

Amy

AmyBishopMarketing.com

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
To add - when you put the URL in the 'Final URL' cell, you then leave the destination URL field blank. You can also upload to the Final URL as opposed to Destination URL to make it easier.

Best,
Amy

AmyBishopMarketing.com

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
As of 7/6/15, you should leave destination URL blank, and set final URL instead, under "URL Options" section.

You could do this since May, optionally; now it's mandatory.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have't used the Editor since the change was announced so I wasn't aware it was there.

Thank you for the clarification.  Since Dest. URL is no longer supported as of yesterday and all Dest URLs were automatically converted to Final URL, Dest URL shouldn't even show up in the Adwords Editor and Final URL should not be obscured to a second panel.  I guess we can't expect good timing an coordination as far as Adwords Editor releases and functionality changes on the web interface?  

Problem solved.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Happy to help! I would expect that the next rendition of AdWords editor will no longer have a cell for destination URL. Hopefully that version will be out soon Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It appears now a change has been made on the server side to automatically translate URL in the Dest. URL field in Adwords editor to Final URL as I can submit new ads now in Adwords Editor that has a blank Final URL and only Dest. URL.  It was pretty frustrating initially though due to the lack of proper timing on the switchover.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Good to know! Thanks for the update!