AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Editor Not Accepting Password Version 10.5.0

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Anybody have an issue with Adwords Editor 10.5.0 (latest version) not accepting passwords for accounts?

I've just done a clean AE install and tried to add my account, but it's not accepting my user/password for my account, when I know it's 100% correct because the same user/pass copy/pasted into my web panel works fine. 

Thanks in advance, 

Matt

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Machew
September 2015

Re: Adwords Editor Not Accepting Password Version 10.5.0

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
In your browser, go to https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps (while logged in the account that you are trying to use with Editor). Set "Access for less secure apps" to Enable, and click Done. Then, try logging into Editor again; I believe it should work this time (unless you are in fact using 2-step verification; in which case, see the previous answer by Ahmed Ali).

This is a recent development; we are in the process of writing a Help Center article for it. Google has tightened the security around account authentication a few days ago. Login requests from certain "less secure apps" are now rejected by default for new accounts. Somewhat embarrassingly, AdWords Editor is one of those apps.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
If you've recently enrolled in 2-step verification, you might see this error message when you sign in to your account in AdWords Editor:

Sign-in failed. The username or password you entered is incorrect.

To access your account, you need to set up an application-specific password in addition to your AdWords account username and password:-https://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=180744

If there's no error message and you can't sign in, The sign-in dialog might be disabled if the account email address changed since you last signed in to the account in AdWords Editor. To resolve the issue, follow the steps below:

Cancel the sign-in dialog.
Select File > Open account > Add account.
Enter the new email address and password.
You can now safely remove the old email address from the accounts list. Select the entry with the old email address, then click Remove accounts.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Machew
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
In your browser, go to https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps (while logged in the account that you are trying to use with Editor). Set "Access for less secure apps" to Enable, and click Done. Then, try logging into Editor again; I believe it should work this time (unless you are in fact using 2-step verification; in which case, see the previous answer by Ahmed Ali).

This is a recent development; we are in the process of writing a Help Center article for it. Google has tightened the security around account authentication a few days ago. Login requests from certain "less secure apps" are now rejected by default for new accounts. Somewhat embarrassingly, AdWords Editor is one of those apps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This worked.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I had this issue - and the message I got was that my account is now vulnerable to attack - what are you doing to fix this problem?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Just realised I didn't thank you for this response. Thanks! It worked Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your advice - it worked. I would suggest that the error message should give your advice, not send us on an endless loop of trying to enable access for less-secure apps! Sheesh!