AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Editor Error: Invalid Campaign type

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

We are currently running ads for a client on their old adwords account. They are a non profit, and just got their new non profit account approved. In the process of copying campaigns from the old account and posting them to the new account we are seeing the following error on all campaigns

Errors: 1 Invalid campaign type. To post the campaign, edit the campaign type.

To be clear, these are text ads that are currently running under campaign type "search network only" and that is how I have attempted to post them. I have also tested "search network with display select" and every other campaign type in hopes to simply edit them after they have been posted. none of these options work, and doing a search in google and in the forum actually produces a total of ZERO results, as if this error has never been recorded...Ever. What's even more crazy is that as I was posting this, I attempted to post a single campaign to trip the error so I could take a screenshot, and it posted successfully. Now, here's the real kicker. I didn't do anything different and I can't get any other campaigns to properly post. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to this. See image below. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

adwords editor error 2.PNG

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Of course, after working on this for over an hour I finally decide to post a new topic in the forum and almost instantly found the problem. Why in the world would it possibly go any other way? Anyway, the issue was this.

Upon downloading the campaigns, Adwords editor defaulted the campaign type as "search network only" and include search partners to "enabled". Once I set include search partners to "disabled" they successfully posted.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future, since there is absolutely no other information on this topic anywhere on the web! Thanks for your help James!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Lucas D,

I believe this is happening from your older text ads being standard text ads, which are no longer available with AdWords. Expanded text ads have taken their place. Once you edit them (or delete them) to comply with Expanded Text Ads, it will all work smoothly for you. 

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you for the extremely prompt and helpful response. I'm going to check this out, BUT these ads were created less than 2 weeks ago and it appears these changes took place on Jan 31, 2017 so I am under the impression that is not the issue. But I'll check it out anyway just to make sure. Thanks again!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've confirmed we are already using expanded text ads, so unfortunately that's not the issue. Whatever the issue is though, it's got to be something very discrete and minor because I didn't make any noticeable changes when the one campaign decided to post successfully.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Lucas,

You are very welcome. 

If that does not apply to your situation, what about your campaign name? Is it unique... meaning there is not another one like it (active or paused)?

Kind Regards,

James

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Of course, after working on this for over an hour I finally decide to post a new topic in the forum and almost instantly found the problem. Why in the world would it possibly go any other way? Anyway, the issue was this.

Upon downloading the campaigns, Adwords editor defaulted the campaign type as "search network only" and include search partners to "enabled". Once I set include search partners to "disabled" they successfully posted.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future, since there is absolutely no other information on this topic anywhere on the web! Thanks for your help James!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same thing happened to me; thank you so much for posting the solution! I fiddled with this for far too long before finally searching for answer. What a relief.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Awesome, I guess I did the right thing by posting the solution rather than just selfishly solving it for myself and moving on. Happy to hear you got it fixed!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

THANK YOU for posting this! I even called in to support and they couldn't figure it out. I should have searched the forums sooner.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

THANK YOU FOR POSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1