AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Editor: Bulk Upload Text Ads with Commas

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I normally cut and paste column headings and field values into the "bulk upload" feature of Adwords Editor.  I ran into one problem when I had commas as valid characters in the Text Ad fields.  The commas disrupt the syntax of CSV.  The solution was to use a tab delimited format as an alternative.

I was wondering if it is possible to "escape" the comma somehow or enter a hex value, so Adwords Editor sees it as a field value as opposed to a field terminator.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Adwords Editor: Bulk Upload Text Ads with Commas

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Yes, Editor cares - these should be double quotes. Editor parses the standard CSV format - the format that Excel and other spreadsheet applications produce.

Your example with a mix of commas and quotes should be encoded this way:

"""Big"" John's BBQ, Ribs & Steaks"

That is, two double-quotes "" for every every double-quote in the original text (single quotes don't have any special meaning and don't require any additional encoding), and then the whole text is enclosed in an extra pair of double quotes.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi kcginc,

Are the text fields quoted in your CSV file? Commas should not disrupt the syntax of CSV if test fields are enclosed with  quotes.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Pete-

Good suggestion.  Does Adwords Editor care whether they are single or double quotes?

What do you suggest if the Text Ads contain a mix of commas and quotes - "Big" John's BBQ, Ribs & Steaks?

Not trying to be a pain, just trying to build a robust solution that would work under all scenarios.

Thx.

Brad

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Yes, Editor cares - these should be double quotes. Editor parses the standard CSV format - the format that Excel and other spreadsheet applications produce.

Your example with a mix of commas and quotes should be encoded this way:

"""Big"" John's BBQ, Ribs & Steaks"

That is, two double-quotes "" for every every double-quote in the original text (single quotes don't have any special meaning and don't require any additional encoding), and then the whole text is enclosed in an extra pair of double quotes.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
This is very helpful. Thanks, Igor.
Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Igor-

Works perfectly.  This is exactly what I was looking for.

Many thanks.

Brad