AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Editor 11 on Mac - Unable to move ad groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have Editor 11.2.3 installed on my Mac and I've just come to try and drag and drop an ad group from one campaign to another and it simply doesn't work. I've tried it with keywords and ads and its the same thing , the functionality is not there which is really odd as I've never had this issue before with previous versions. I've tried it on a colleagues Mac as well but its the same thing, doesn't want to do drag and drop. Anyone else got the same thing?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Editor 11 on Mac - Unable to move ad groups

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Unfortunately, drag/drop support is more limited on Mac.

You can't drag and drop within the tree view, and you can't drag an ad group from the list view to a different campaign in the tree view. You can however drag leaf items, targeting criteria and ads, from the list view to the tree view.

Copy/paste is unaffected by the drag/drop limitation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This has only just stopped working in this version of Editor, it has been working fine on previous versions.

Not sure now how i can move keywords and ad groups around as I have been doing for the last 2(?) years. If I copy ad groups and keywords rater than move them I will lose their history

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
The behavior started with version 11, released in December 2014.

Even going back to 10.6, drag/drop is no different than cut/paste. You get a new item in the target, and the source get deleted. There's no continuation of history. You can try this with an ad to confirm.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My understanding has aways been that it is better to move keywords/ad groups because the history in terms of QS will go with it so this is quite a surprise to see this response. So to confirm, when I have moved a keyword in the past Google has treated it as a new keyword with no history of CTR, conversion rates and QS? Surely then it would be better not to move/copy anything at all so that this history is not lost?

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
There's no move operation per se. What the AdWords server sees is a removal followed by an addition, with no connection between the two. It doesn't matter if this was accomplished in Editor by cut/paste, drag/drop, or explicit deletion and addition.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter E
January 2016

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

Hey Peter,

To answer your question about the QS of a new keyword--you'll see on this page of the Help Center at the bottom that even though stats are reset and the QS shown to you in your account resets to 6/10, that will not affect your ad rank if the keyword and landing page stay the same: "So if you restructure your account, such as moving keywords to a new ad group, your Ad Rank and ad quality won’t change, even though the new ad group’s keywords might all initially have a Quality Score of 6." 

Keep in mind that if it is a brand new keyword or a new landing page, the QS will typically only take a few days to calculate a new QS as well.

Hope this helps,
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Cassie, thats really frustrating that the ad groups can't be dragged but at least the keywords still can

I appreciate your help