AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Editor 11.1.2 - Mobile Bid Adjustments Bug

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

We've spotted a bug in Adwords Editor where if you select multiple campaigns and make a change, for example pausing them, Adwords Editor clears out the values in the Mobile Bid Adjustment field at the same time. 

So you might pause a campaign with a -100% mobile bid adjustment and then when you go to reactivate it notice that the Mobile Bid Adjustment is now blank so you are opted back into Mobile traffic again. 

Here's an example of a campaign where I got recent changes in Editor and noticed the Mobile Bid Adjustment had been cleared when a colleague paused the campaign. We've seen this happen on 3 or 4 accounts in the past few days now - 

Mobile Bid.png

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom_Accord
September 2015

Re: Adwords Editor 11.1.2 - Mobile Bid Adjustments Bug

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Upon closer inspection - yes, it's a bug. It's actually been reported and fixed about a month ago, and slipped my mind.

Under certain complicated set of circumstances, Get Recent Changes > Basic (fast) may mistakenly believe that the mobile bid modifier has been cleared. It's not actually cleared - if you check the online interface at this point, you'll see the campaign still has it. If you do Get Recent Changes > More Data (slower) at this point, Editor will pick it back up.

The danger with this bug is that, if you don't notice the problem, make any change to the campaign, and post it, then you will in fact lose the bid modifier for real.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Thanks for letting us know Tom!

I'll pass this onto the product team.

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
This is most often caused by Editor's view of the account being out of sync. When you make a change to the campaign (or anything else) and then post, Editor makes sure that what you see in Editor is exactly what will be on the server after the upload - including fields that you have not modified.

For example, you have downloaded your account in Editor. At that time, mobile bid modifier was set to X. Later, another user changed the bid modifier to Y, in the online interface or in another copy of Editor. Later still, you make some unrelated change (e.g. to a budget, or status) and post your changes. Since your copy of Editor still has the bid modifier of X, this is the value that gets uploaded to the server - effectively undoing the other user's change to Y.

Use Get Recent Changes to keep Editor's view of the account up to date. It's especially important in a case like yours, where two or more users are busy making changes to the same account. You may want to run Get Recent Changes every time before you post, to make sure you've picked up changes made by your colleagues in the interim; otherwise, again, you run the risk of unwittingly undoing those changes.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply AdWordsEng-Igor.

We always make sure we click Get Recent Changes when we first open an account so I don't think this is what's causing the issue. We've seen this bug happen as we've made the change in Editor. I keep hoping to get a screen capture of it but it never happens when I'm recording it!

Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom_Accord
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Upon closer inspection - yes, it's a bug. It's actually been reported and fixed about a month ago, and slipped my mind.

Under certain complicated set of circumstances, Get Recent Changes > Basic (fast) may mistakenly believe that the mobile bid modifier has been cleared. It's not actually cleared - if you check the online interface at this point, you'll see the campaign still has it. If you do Get Recent Changes > More Data (slower) at this point, Editor will pick it back up.

The danger with this bug is that, if you don't notice the problem, make any change to the campaign, and post it, then you will in fact lose the bid modifier for real.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the explanation AdWordsEng-Igor, that makes sense and reflects what we are seeing.

You say it has been fixed, is this something that will come out in the next version of Adwords Editor as we have version 11.1.2 and are still experiencing it?

Cheers

Tom

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
It's fixed for the next release.