AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Display optimization

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have run a campaign for a bout a week and i am trying to find the best way to optimize it.

Right now i have it set 

Focus on clicks - use maximum CPC bids

I'll manually set my bids for clicks
AND Enable Enhanced CPC  
Use my conversion tracking data and bids to optimize for my current conversion bid metric setting: Conversions.

and  Ad rotation  
With these settings i have been eliminating bad placements and adjusting bids manually.

Should i switch to 
1. Rotate evenly and turn off ads manually?
2. Focus on conversions (Conversion Optimizer) - use CPA bids
3. Select a flexible bid strategy

Also, how is Flexible bid strategy Target CPA is different from Focus on conversions (Conversion Optimizer) - use CPA bids and different from Enable Enhanced CPC  
Use my conversion tracking data and bids to optimize for my current conversion bid metric setting: Conversions?

If i do switch, how long Google takes to learn from data and optimize the campaigns?
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Display optimization

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Eric,

What type of campaign is it, Display network only or search network with display select?

Generally for display network only:

• You can check the device traffic and adjust your bid for mobile device.
  • You can check your location targeting and modify it by excluding/including the particular region to expand or narrow your reach.
  • You can use ad scheduling and frequency capping.
  • As its the initial stage of your campaign so you can first choose the ad rotation with "optimize for clicks".
  • Your targeting method: Check and modify the targeting options (keywords, demographic, topics, interests, Placements) as per your requirements and goal.
  • Also keep in mind whether you opt "target and Bid" or " Bid only" for your targeting.

I suggest you to wait for 2 weeks and then analyse.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit,

Its display only.

I do have country, age, gender, interests, topics selected.
I do not have enough conversion data to do day parting.
Frequency capping is 5/day
Target and bid for interests

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Too specific campaign setting narrowing your ads reach and thats the reason your campaign is unable to accumulate a traffic.

First for :Interests", set to bid only rather than target and bid.
Frequency capping is Ok.
Leave Scheduling for now.
I suggest you to not to use age and gender(demographic) initially until you get the traffic.

I hope these changes will work,
After these changes wait for the traffic to accumulate.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually i do get volume on impressions, clicks and conversions so it is not a problem.
It is a niche product so age, gender, interests have to be there.

I am trying to find the best way to optimize it for $

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Hi Eric,

If you do not have enough conversion data to set ad scheduling, you likely do not have enough data to use Conversion Optimizer/Target CPA. This bidding strategy needs a very large amount of conversion data in order to work correctly, and you need to be optimizing only around conversions that drive revenue (ex. sales rather than a page visit). Target CPA and Conversion Optimizer are the same thing, but it may have a slightly different name depending on whether you're setting it as a flexible bidding strategy or at the campaign level. This strategy is much more automated than Enhanced CPC in that you have no control over individual keyword bids. You can read more about the differences here.

Simply put, optimization is reducing spend on unprofitable placements/targeting/etc., and prioritizing the targeting that gets you the best cost per conversion and return on spend over time.

Keep in mind that a week is likely not enough time to have data to optimize around. Usually you need at least two weeks to start seeing trends and making these big targeting change decisions.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cassie,

Thank you for your advice.

I am new to Adwords Display and came from much lower volume traffic source. On the other traffic source i would pause an ad if it did not get any clicks for 1500 impressions. I am getting a feeling this is too low of a threshold on Adwords display.

Right now my campaign has approximately 1.5 mil impressions, 4000 clicks and 400 conversions. Is it enough for day parting and conversion optimizations? The reason my ctr and cvr look good is because i copied ads from another traffic source where i have tested them for a while.

In general, what are the "industry standards" for cutting ads and placements in terms of number of impressions/clicks/conversions?

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
Hi Eric,

Unfortunately there are no industry standards in terms of account optimization since so many different types of business use AdWords, and are working toward very different ROI and engagement goals.

Are the 400 conversions you've tracked so far sales? Or are there are other, "softer" goals mixed in there? What I'd recommend is using other optimization strategies first before you even touch conversion optimizer bidding strategy. When you go that route, the control over bidding is out of your hands. Testing ad scheduling and bid adjustments, making bid adjustments on mobile based on your performance there, and focusing in on the display targeting which gets you the best ROI will be enough to keep you busy for a while.

Try diving into the data, making some of those adjustments, and leaving them be for two weeks. Then you can continue to optimize from there.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cassie,

Yes, this is definitely a big help.

Conversions were sign ups for a website.

To summarize, what you are suggesting is to set bid strategy to maximize clicks and then manually optimize as much as possible?

Does Adwords display take 2 weeks every time you make large number of changes to provide meaningful data?

Thank you so much,
Eric
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric K
November 2015

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
Hi Eric,

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. It does not always take 2 weeks to provide meaningful data, but that's the standard benchmark that we recommend since it's better to optimize with more data vs. less. If you have a huge amount of data after a week and a half or a week, you could continue to optimize after that period as well. It's just not a good idea to optimize after only a few days!

Cassie