AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Desktop Editor Hardware for large accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am considering upgradign some of my computer hardware in an effort to get AdWords Desktop eDitor to perform faster on large accounts.

Ideally, tasks such as sorting large numbers of keywords, using filters across the account, and figuring out changes ot post would be faster. If I could download stats faster also that would be great.

Right now I have a i5 CPU with 6 gig of ram. What will help speed up AdWords Desktop most?

--faster CPU

--more ram

--faster harddrive (maybe a SSD)

--other?

Thanks!

Re: Adwords Desktop Editor Hardware for large accounts

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good lord Smiley Happy i have a server which is like that Smiley Happy

Honestly adwords editor with larget account sucks Smiley Sad and I think if i5 and 6gigs of ram cant do it then nothing will

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Nik,

Honestly adwords editor with larget account sucks

What do you mean by that? Isnt Editor just perfect for large accounts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Isnt Editor just perfect for large accounts?

Well there is large and there is really large.

From http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704396

These are the limits for an AdWords account:

• 10,000 campaigns (includes active and paused campaigns)
  • 20,000 ad groups per campaign
  • 10,000 keywords per ad group
  • 300 display ads per ad group (includes image ads)
  • 4 million active or paused ads per account
  • 5 million keywords per account
  • 10,000 location targets (targeted and excluded) per campaign, including up to 500 proximity targets per campaign*
  • 100,000 active ad extensions per account
  • 1.3 million references to ad extensions per account**

I would like  amachine able to smoothly handles accounts approaching this size (msotly in number of keywords).

Certainly I can get a more capable machine than my i5 with 6 gigs of ram. My thought is, though, that the processor is not really the bottleneck. I am guessing more ram and a faster harddrive would have more impact, but I would like to see if other people have encountered and solved these issues.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

I have experienced adwords editor slowing down considerably with lareger accounts at times it gets frustrating when it just stops responding by consuming all the memory. I would also like to know if getting bigger memory or processor will help in speeding up the process

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did upgrade my computers RAM. I figured that's pretty inexpensive and would help with other tasks. 

The additional RAM does not seem to help with Google AdWords Desktop. It does seem to help a little with BingAds Desktop, though. I am currently thinking that the choke point is in the reading and writing from disk with the SQLite database. People have been pointing out the lastest version (9.8.1) of AdWords Desktop is noticably slower. I am wondering if they put in additional data verifications.

I'd really like to hear from someone who runs the desktop tool with a large account off a SSD. If fast disk access makes a difference, I'm thinking I'll use some of my new RAM and run it from a RAMdisk.