AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Community

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

When using remarketimg, does the pixel capture "ALL" visitors that hit my pixeled pages or just those that come to my site by my AdWords? Do organic visitors get pixeled as well?

Thank you

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jlynch401
September 2015

Re: Adwords Community

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jlynch401,

Welcome to the Community!

Yes, anyone that hits the cookie code will be tagged. It does not distinguish between visitor types. The only way to single out PPC visitors would be to have separate, dedicated landing pages with Remarketing code installed, that are only accessible via clicking on ads.

You may also be interested in checking out Custom Combination lists too.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2549111

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

With the new kind of AdWords re-marketing you will actually be able to distinguish between different kind of visitors, depending on their source, even if they all visit the same pages/URL:s

This is because the "new" re-marketing let´s you target visitors based on which URL on your site they visited.

And as you can use the URL-builder to tag your URL:s, you could, for example, target all visitors that visitors that visitied a URL that looks like this: http://www.example.com/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=january

Which would be the visitors that clicked on a link in your januray newsletter

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Remarketing

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi jlynch401,

If you have the AdWords conversion script on your thank your page, it's pretty simple. Set up the original remarketing campaign to exclude those who are also on the conversion list.

The way I handled segmenting organic, paid and direct traffic for remarketing was to place javascript on the pages that looked at the referrer. If the referrer includes a gclid value, I set the value of the conversion_id and conversion_label to those for the paid list. If the referrer is Google and has no gclid, that's organic search. If there is no referrer, that's direct traffic. Worked out pretty well. But you don't get anyone who has Javascript disabled.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jlynch401,

Welcome to the Community!

Yes, anyone that hits the cookie code will be tagged. It does not distinguish between visitor types. The only way to single out PPC visitors would be to have separate, dedicated landing pages with Remarketing code installed, that are only accessible via clicking on ads.

You may also be interested in checking out Custom Combination lists too.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2549111

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Excellent...Thank you!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

With the new kind of AdWords re-marketing you will actually be able to distinguish between different kind of visitors, depending on their source, even if they all visit the same pages/URL:s

This is because the "new" re-marketing let´s you target visitors based on which URL on your site they visited.

And as you can use the URL-builder to tag your URL:s, you could, for example, target all visitors that visitors that visitied a URL that looks like this: http://www.example.com/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=january

Which would be the visitors that clicked on a link in your januray newsletter

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Excellent call David!

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Awewsome - Thank You both!

Remarketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys,

One more question,

If I want to exclude site visitors that got cookied when they first arrived but then converted/bought a product.

How do I

1. Cancel the original cookie or

2. Re-cookie them with a tag on the "thank you" page that over-rides the original cookie to be able to send  a different message than the message they would get if they did not buy.

Feel free just to point me in the direction of a help topic that speaks to this.

Thank you

James

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Remarketing

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi jlynch401,

If you have the AdWords conversion script on your thank your page, it's pretty simple. Set up the original remarketing campaign to exclude those who are also on the conversion list.

The way I handled segmenting organic, paid and direct traffic for remarketing was to place javascript on the pages that looked at the referrer. If the referrer includes a gclid value, I set the value of the conversion_id and conversion_label to those for the paid list. If the referrer is Google and has no gclid, that's organic search. If there is no referrer, that's direct traffic. Worked out pretty well. But you don't get anyone who has Javascript disabled.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords