AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Ads - Site Link Extensions Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have recently started implementing site link extensions for a site and I am little confused on the sites I see from the extension. My extension displays two other site urls on my main domain. From my understanding, these site links will display under our Ads when they are shown for a given search. From the two weeks I have been running the extensions, my stats show that they impressions are about 10% of what my searches are of my keywords. So I was thinking these site extension links would be displayed everytime our ad is shown. Also, if I search a bidded keyword and find my ad, I never seem to see the site links extension displayed for my ad but always for my competitors ads. I am just wondering if I am implementing the sitelinks wrong or if there is something I am missing thats keeping them from showing more often. Thanks in advance for any information regarding this.

Adam

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Adwords Ads - Site Link Extensions Question

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Adam,

Ad extensions only show when your ad is in a top-page postion and not when your ad is in a side position. Even when your ad is in top position, your extensions may not be displayed.

Does your ad show in a top position?

Best of Luck,m

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Adam,

Your average of 1.3 does not necessarily mean your ad is shown above the organic results rather than on the side. It must be in a position above the organic results.

As posted above, there are other considerations. One of those being the CTR on your sitelinks.

Best of Luck!

Pete

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adam,

I don´t think Google has provided much information about the rules that govern when, how and why sitelinks are shown.
Relevancy is however probably a factor of great importance. If someone searches for "blue shoes", Google is more likely to show a sitelink that has something link that in linktext and directs users to a page about blue shoes.
If you are using broad match keywords (or modified broad match) remember that it´s harder to get a high relevance at each search query and thus the frequency of your sitelink showing will be lower.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Adam,

Ad extensions only show when your ad is in a top-page postion and not when your ad is in a side position. Even when your ad is in top position, your extensions may not be displayed.

Does your ad show in a top position?

Best of Luck,m

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Sorry I had to change nickname.

Pete - As in top position, I generally have a avg. of 1.3 so it must rotate between 1-2. So it needs to be at the 1 spot or do you mean the mainline? Thanks

-Adam

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hello all, great ideas here! 

Just to clarify, sitelinks don't show all the time. They will only show on a proportion of your ads. To try and boost the number times your sitelinks show, several factors are taken into account including: relevance of ad and sitelink, ad position, and the quality of the sitelink are all taken into account. Trying to improve any and all of these will help, but even so your sitelink is unlikely to show every single time.

Hope this helps!

A. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Adam,

Your average of 1.3 does not necessarily mean your ad is shown above the organic results rather than on the side. It must be in a position above the organic results.

As posted above, there are other considerations. One of those being the CTR on your sitelinks.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I´ll just add 2 cents to Pete´s post.

If you wanna know how often your ad has shown in the top 3 results above the organic result list, apply segmentation "Top vs Other"

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454072

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 8
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Adam,

Here is a link for another useful discussion on sitelinks:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results-optimize-ROI-CTR/Sitelink-Extensions-Give-yo...

Best,
Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everyone for the help and insight on this. Also for providing other resources regarding the matter.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"I´ll just add 2 cents to Pete´s post.

If you wanna know how often your ad has shown in the top 3 results above the organic result list, apply segmentation "Top vs Other"

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2454072"

This actually helped a good bit understanding conversions as well.

Do you know how and what determines your positioning on the search partners? My converting groups have almost 100% impressions on Google Search: Top but very few on Search Partners: top but very high on Search Partners: Other. From looking back on my stats, a good bit of my conversions have been from Search Partners: Top.